A Complete Idiot’s Guide to Spring Break Safety

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

This semester is flying by, and Spring Break is SO CLOSE to being here.  I know that I am super excited to have a week off, and I expect everyone else is too.  All fun aside, Spring Break can also quite easily become a breeding ground for danger.  Not to state the obvious, but be safe.  No, I’m serious.

If you are going to the beach, or another place where you will be exposed to the sun, wear sunscreen.  I know it’s oily and can be a hassle to remember, but it will be worth it.  You don’t want to have leathery skin when you get older.  You don’t want premature wrinkles.  You definitely don’t want to risk getting skin cancer when you’re older when you should be doing everything you can to prevent it now.

Be conscious of how much
 you drink, what you are drinking, and who you are drinking with.  Every year there are multiple accounts of college students dying during Spring Break because they were drunk and fell off of a balcony.  It happens.  Be in control, because no one is invincible.  This can be easier to do if you are keeping track of how much you are drinking.  Of course you should never leave a drink unattended either.  We would all like to believe the best about people, but we live in a scary world.  Just watch your drink.  You won’t regret it.

If you’re going to randomly hook up with someone, be safe about it.  Statistics have proven that more people are promiscuous and have unprotected sex during Spring Break than during the school year, back on their own campus.  There’s this hype around Spring Break, and it is treated as if it needs to be this booze-soaked, sun-drenched, carefree week where everyone just hooks up randomly and passes out.  Sure, that sounds fun.  But no one wants a long-lasting consequence from a carefree week.  Being unsafe during a Spring Break hook up could lead to more trouble and stress than that hook up was worth.

Don’t forget to have fun.  Relax, take in the sun (after you cover yourself in sunscreen, take a swim, hang out with your friends.  Take a week off from your studies to just have fun.  You’ve worked hard this year.  You deserve it.

Shelby Carignan is a sophomore at Boston University studying journalism.