Campus Cutie: Justin Hong

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

This week’s Campus Cutie hails all the way from Anaheim, California. His family lives near the happiest and most magical place on earth: Disneyland. Justin Hong lives so close that he can watch the Park’s fireworks from his backyard. Are you sold yet?  

Interestingly, Justin never thought he would attend college in New England, let alone the East Coast. Since being at Boston University, he has met so many people and has integrated himself impressively into the BU community. He says the massive student body makes BU more fun! This sophomore does not shy away from people, but rather approaches new acquaintances with high spirits. This guy wears “social” as well as he wears a tan fedora. 

This friendly face was originally studying Biology (concentrating in Behavioral Sciences), but now he seeks another major. He has recently been accepted into the School of Engineering and he looks forward to starting a Biomedical track. He favors this specific area of study because he thinks it is “fascinating to create things that will aid people.” His future aspirations include applying to business or medical school. Meanwhile, he hopes to pursue a career in Engineering Management at BU. 

Justin enjoys helping people outside of the classroom. This California-Cutie lends a helping hand in several BU community service organizations and first-year programs. He is currently a staff-member of the First-Year Outreach Project, or FYSOP. This service educates freshmen and transfer students about BU, the Boston culture and volunteer opportunities in the surrounding area. In addition, Justin takes part in the Big Sibling (Big Sib) organization. This year he fosters three freshmen, or “triplets,” as he affectionately calls them. Besides these charitable undertakings, Justin represents the University as a CAS Dean’s Host and an Honors College Ambassador. What a catch! 

When this Coastie finds time to relax, he favors touring the city. He sometimes travels to the North End with friends in hopes of discovering little hole-in-the-wall restaurants along the way. He shared that he and his close companions created a special event called “Spending Spring Day,” which is exactly what it sounds like. In the spring, the group of friends ventures out into Beantown and spends a day shopping for a variety of goods. So, this guy is a charismatic socializer and an enthusiastic shopper too. Could this Cutie get any better? 

Justin’s favorite movies, foods and songs may be the icing on the cake. He is a fan of action films, including “Ender’s Game” and “The Hunger Games.” He also loves animated films, and anything Disney or Pixar. Awww, still a kid at heart! “Up” remains his number one. No shame in that. 

As for food favorites, he has a taste for certain ethnic dishes. This future engineer always craves Mexican food and he loves Korean cuisine; he also appreciates a fusion of the two. He mentioned that he loves food trucks that serve “Mexican tacos with Koran beef”. On that note, this Campus Cutie gushed about his go-to food truck, The Chicken & Rice Guys. It offers meat and rice combos that come with two slices of pita bread. Apparently drizzling the signature “white sauce” is a key dish component (this specific truck parks outside the Morse Auditorium on Friday nights). Other preferred food stops include the Campus Trolley, where Justin will likely order the Ranch Chicken Wrap. This hombre sure is adventurous! 

In the music department, Justin has a wide range of interests. “It depends on what type of mood I’m in,” he said, referring to picking a favorite song. He taps his foot to instrumental compositions and rocks out to Justin Timberlake’s hits (what a coincidence).  His current jam is OneRepublic’s “Counting Stars.” Speaking of music, this Campus Cutie reigns as a piano virtuoso. He can play the score from “Up” in a heartbeat. In addition, he commented that music is a stress reliever and an “escape” from the chaotic world. To really jam out, he and his friends play their instruments, including guitars, in the stairwells. “They have great acoustics!” he exclaimed. Without a doubt, this music aficionado will instantly sweep you off your feet just by playing a couple of chords on a Yamaha. Ah, a true Renaissance man. 

On some days, you might see this gracious gentleman banging on the white keys in the Towers Franklin Lounge or practicing in the Mugar Music Library. If you happen to spot him in either place, requesting him to play a song for you definitely wouldn’t hurt. Additional on-campus hang out spots he particularly favors include the GSU, the Ingalls Engineering Resource Center, and the BU Beach. 

When asked about what his “perfect date” would consist of, his idea is especially romantic. “I would plan to have dinner with my date and then go the movies, a classic date, but I would take her to the Esplanade afterwards and walk down the Charles River. It’s a nice place to get away from the busy city. It would give me a chance to get to know her better, too!” This illustration certainly seems to be two words: simply lovely. Let us give thanks to this gent for having such a big heart. 

This Campus Cutie ranks as an absolute gem! The secret of getting to know this young fella is starting a spontaneous conversation with him just by saying “Hi!” As generic as a simple greeting may seem, Justin quotes, “It’s fine by me.” Sweetness guaranteed. 

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.