Calming Formal Qualms: Worry Less, Smile More

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As the temperature starts to drop, everyone in Greek life gets a little anxious. It’s the anticipation of the season, but I’m not talking about winter.

Whether you’re a guy or a girl, formal season is an exciting, scary and surprising time. Both genders are faced with the anxiety of who to bring, when to ask, how to ask, what to wear, which groups to pregame with, what parties will be going on after… it’s almost enough to make you want to head to an open party instead.

Formal is one of the most memorable nights of the semester, but every year I hear the same concerns circling around. Here are a few helpful tips so you can worry less about the details and focus more on having the most fun humanly possible.

“I need a new dress!”

This complaint is the absolute worst. If there was any confusion, there’s no law that states you will be banished from all mankind of you don’t have a brand new formal dress each semester. Since formal season is usually in-between Thanksgiving and Christmas, most of your favorite stores are having sales right before the big gift-buying season. Don’t forget about Rent the Runway either. I’ve had great experiences with the site. Not only do they send you two sizes, but they also have gracious discounts. Finally, look to your friends because I’m sure they have dresses. According to all social media the rule is pics or it didn’t happen so unless you already borrowed that dress, just ask politely!

“I want to find the right dress!”

Girls are either complaining because they don’t want a new dress or they’re complaining because they haven’t found the right one – one extreme or the other. If you really want to stand out in the crowd, stray away from the typical spots and check out these three local finds. They’re sure to have something unique!

·      Lipstick: 293 Newbury Street; Want something different, but working with a strict budget? I’d highly suggest Lipstick. Most dresses range from $50 – $80. They are generally more casual so keep that in mind. If you find a dress you love, get fancy with a chunky necklace or elegant heels to complete the look.

·      LIT: 236 Hanover Street & 223 Newbury Street; Lit is trendy and full of great statement pieces. Half the time I can’t allow myself to walk in the store for fear half of my college savings will disappear. Their prices range, but if you have extra saved, I’d splurge on their selection of jewelry and heels – definitely a one stop formal shop.

·      Crush: 264 Newbury Street; Crush is Newbury’s hidden gem and one of my all time favorite Boston boutiques. The staff is amazing and since the store is smaller they really work with you to find a style and fit you love. I bought my formal dress here last year and was so happy I did. Crush is definitely more expensive than the other two options on average, but it is formal and this semester was super tough soooo… I think that’s reason enough for a shopping spree!

“I don’t know who to bring!”

This is the biggest fear every year. If you don’t have a significant other in your life, formal can be more stressful than that upcoming stats midterm. You don’t want to seem too aggressive or maybe you’re scared that person won’t invite you back to theirs, but go for it, seriously. No matter what, being asked to formal is a huge compliment! It’s always a fun night so your date will be so excited to go.  I find that when my friends ask the guy they’re obsessed with to go they are always happy they asked (more often, they regret it if they chicken out). You’re young. You only get to enjoy formals for four years, so go with dates you actually want to go with. I’m not saying yolo, but yolo.

I hope these relieved some of your formal qualms! If you still have unanswered questions, here’s my quick formal to-do (and not to-do) checklist:

o   Do you hair and nails … cause why not? Any excuse to get a pedicure is always a good one in my book!

o   Be a good date. This means pay (even if you’re a girl – you asked him!), take pictures, and introduce your date to your friends. Do everything you can to make them feel welcome and wanted at the event.

o   Don’t drink too much. You never want to be that girl, but especially not at formal! It’s easy to get overexcited or nervous about what the night will bring so make sure you watch how much you take in.

o   Breathe, smile relax. You might not meet up with the group you planned to beforehand and dancing with someone you don’t know might be awkward, but it’s all about your attitude. If you stress about every detail it will ruin your night! Also formal pictures are perfect for big/little scrapbooks so make sure to smile in those pictures.

Happy Formal 2013, Greeks!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.