BU Study Gems: The Best Places to Study for Finals on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It’s finally that time of year – finals. With hours upon hours of homework ahead of you, Mugar Library does not sound all too appealing. During finals week, Mugar turns into an overcrowded, depression-filled arena with little natural light. Before taking that dreaded walk to Mugar, you may want to consider some other study locations. There are an abundance of more comfortable, and well lit places to study on campus – you just need to know where to look. Below are some of my favorite places to study without feeling overwhelmed by the workload or the mass amounts of people.

9th floor study lounge of Shelton

The top floor of Shelton is easily my go-to study spot. Not only does it have a magnificent view of the Charles River and the city, but it is also extremely cozy. You can choose between sitting in a large, comfy chair, or sitting at a table next to the window. And if you want to get some intense studying done, there is a quiet room where you can set up camp. There is also the great perk of having the dining hall in 100 Bay State right across the street.

The Hillel House

Although I was a tad nervous to study in the Hillel House, as I am not Jewish, I now know that the Hillel House is a great place to study! Don’t let nervousness stop you from bunkering down in this pristine and comfortable study haven. I like study on the 2nd floor and sit in a couch overlooking the Charles River. There are also tables on the main level right next to the Granby Street Café that are perfect for studying.

The School of Theology Library  

Many don’t know about this cozy, centrally located study gem on campus. Situated on the 2nd floor of the theology building (right next to Marsh Plaza), this library is always quiet and great for getting some quality work done. Unlike Mugar, I have never had a problem finding a seat; there are even big, circular tables you can snag all for yourself.

The Dunkin Donuts at Student Village 1

If you live on West Campus and don’t feel like schlepping all the way to Central or East Campus to study, StuVi 1 is a great place to go. There are booths, tables, and outlets galore in the Dunkin Donuts at StuVi 1! Plus, who doesn’t love to take a study break with some coffee and snacks?

SED Library

Located in the basement of the School of Education, this smaller library gives you a choice of desks, cubicles, armchairs, and even private study rooms. It is very quiet with little distractions, so it is perfect space for getting a lot of work done. And if you’re getting restless, you can run across the street to the Starbucks in SMG. 

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.