BU Stage Troupe Gets Closer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

If you’re like me, you are always looking for a chance to sit back and watch some live theatre. Lucky for us, BU’s Stage Troupe puts on amazing productions at least four times a semester. Never seen one? Well, here is your chance.

On April 4,5 and 6th at 8 p.m. Stage Troupe will be performing Closer in the Student Theatre (that intimate theatre in-between Agganis Arena and FitRec). Sound familiar? Closer is a play by Patrick Marber, that was turned into a film in 2004, starting Julia Roberts, Jude Law, Natalie Portman and Clive Owen. 

Directors Allison Crisostomo (COM ’14) and Vishaal Reddy (SMG ’13) have been inspired to incorporate a cinematic motif for the production. 

“A major reason we decided on the cinematic feel was basically due to the script,” says Reddy. “The script is written in such a way that it is very intimate and centered around the personal stories of the characters. Sometimes the nuances and emotion of the text can get lost when performers are directed to overdramatize it on stage.”

Closer hopes to be an exciting performance that will keep the audience thinking and guessing. Still looking for a reason to go? All you need to know is that there is a stripper pole involved. 

Stage Troupe is the oldest and largest extracurricular performance arts group at BU. With a motto of “learning by doing,” Troupe is open to all experience levels of acting, teching, writing, directing or producing.

Elyssa is a "New Yourker" who has somehow ended up in Boston. She is currently studying journalism at Boston University and is excited to be the Campus Correspondent for the BU branch of Her Campus! She also enjoys theatre, frozen yogurt, and obsessively watching "Dancing with the Stars." When not doing any of above, she can be found quoting "Pirates of the Caribbean."
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.