BU Abroad: The Traveling Pashmina

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

During my study abroad experience, I have experienced many changes – changes in atmosphere, friends, living space, food, culture, television, movies, theatre, currency, and transportation to name a few. Spending four months in London, and simultaneously planning trips to other parts of Europe, is both exciting and time consuming, so naturally, some of my USA priorities have fallen off my to do list – the number one sacrifice? Checking the weather.

The unpredictability of the weather here is something I fail to keep up with – in a moment, the sun can be shining through the clouds and require the immediate use of sunglasses; in 3 hours, that same sky can be clouded with the darkest rainy gloom, down pouring on me and my groceries, and soaking through my rainboots after the short 2 block commute home from the store. A girl on the run can’t be responsible for being prepared for all these climactically bipolar days, and I certainly don’t have the time to dabble in 
meteorology to test the winds each morning before I begin my daily duties. So I made the investment that all women should make, no matter how far or short their travels are in day to day life – thanks to the wise words of my girlfriend and fellow HC member, Elizabeth Tomaselli, and the bargain-friendly New York City street salesmen, I have learned the magical powers of the all-weather-friendly fashion item: the pashmina.

The pashmina, a thin fringed scarf that comes in endless colors and patterns, and is usually purchased in a thin plastic wrapping, can be purchased in most urban settings for a price ranging from $3 to $10 (though I would rather sew my own pashmina before I laid out $10 for it – bargain hunting ladies! You can do it). This magical item, of which I own 5, has made all the difference in my trek through and across Europe, and is as much a part of my essential packing list as my toothbrush, phone charger, and eyeliner.

The multifaceted services of this inexpensive clothing article speak volumes to its overall value. International travels mean not only differences in climate, but many sleep deprived and sometimes uncomfortable traveling scenarios as well. Also, the idea of backpacking through Europe is difficult when us feminine divas require 8 bags of luggage for a weekend trip – this isn’t necessary when you think of different ways to use easily-packable items for short treks: for the pashmina, here are some first hand examples of how it can come in handy while experiencing new cities and cultures:

At a loss for accessories? Skip the necklace and wrap your pashmina around your neck for warmth and style. It doesn’t have the bulk of a scarf, yet it will still keep you warm while serving as a fashion statement. If you don’t want a solid color, pick a patterned one to jazz up a color-blocked outfit and tie the colors together.

Chilly on the plane ride? The wide pashmina can be unfolded and act like a lap blanket: simply drape it over your legs for a comfy extra layer that will beat the less-than-immaculate airline blankets that may be provided. If it is warm on the plane, fold up your scarf and use it as a pillow – wonderful for short travel naps!

Feeling bloated? Drape the thin fabric over your shoulders for the campy-casual feel – cuter than a poncho, not only will it be extremely comfortable, but it can conceal any snug clothing flaws that may be apparent after that long European lunch.

Heat wave in Rome? It can easily fold up flatly and be snug in your bag – if there isn’t room inside, secure it to the strap since it is virtually weightless.

Rainy day in London? Take your pashmina and wrap it around your head for the sassy Audrey-Hepburn vibe – not only will it keep your head warm, but you can also feel cozy and fashionable at the same time.

Freezing in Venice? Double up! Since they are so thin, you can pack multiple pashminas, perhaps even in different colors, into your small backpack and create a thicker and multicolored look that is suitable even for the most fashionable areas of Europe. A chilly day shouldn’t have to require packing big heavy coats, especially when bouncing from city to city.

Night train to Amsterdam? Again, it is a great pillow or blanket option, or fold it up and use it as a seat cushion for uncomfortably long train rides.

It may seem like a simply article of clothing, but an item such as a pashmina can stretch a $5 purchase a long way – I can no longer conceptualize a packing list without the ‘pashmina’ bullet-point checked off, and usually bring a couple of colors to jazz it up. Simplicity and ease are key to these last minute Euro-adventures, and what better way to say “sassy, simple and stunning’ than to add a bit of color and warmth under your new fall coat? Allow yourself to try new things while studying abroad, and you can come home wearing lots of different hats. And pashminas.

Shelby Carignan is a sophomore at Boston University studying journalism.