BU Abroad: They Got Their London Eye on You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

This September, right before boarding the 7-hour flight to London from John F. Kennedy airport, my family had some last minute advice to send me away with. My mother told me to have a blast, and not to get bogged down by the little things; my father warned me to be careful, to keep in contact, and to always have emergency numbers on hand; and my frivolous aunt kissed me and told me the wisest words of all: “Watch out for men.” And then, I was off.

I didn’t need a member of my family to tell me to look out for European men – in fact, in the three hour line at customs once the plane landed in the UK, I immediately started scoping out the crowd with a few girlfriends, imitating what the accents would sound like if we ever got to talking to English men. I could pick up on the nuances of British dating, I thought to myself,how hard could it be? But what my aunt was implying, which I soon discovered for myself, was that European men are not intimidated by social cues when it comes to talking to women – on the contrary, they never treat you like a stranger, but instead, like you are a treasure walking about the streets.

I then discovered why these European women seemed so happy when they pick up their tea in the morning before work; why the mothers sending their uniformed children to school seem to glow as they walk down the block: on any given day in Europe, a man will tell you that you look beautiful. And not in an unsafe way – the street smarts that us girls use back in the states absolutely apply to traveling abroad (perhaps even more so), but the men you might pass by everyday or strike up a casual conversation with while you’re ordering your lunch are simply appreciative, not intimidating. It could be a father, or an employer, or another college student – these men are filled with unencumbered thoughts to boost your endorphins and paint a smile on your face to get you through the day.

It helps that dressing down is very unpopular here – no longer are the days that I can throw my scarlet and white sweatpants on before running to the library for a few copies. The women (and men) are very put together, while not being overdone. Amy Winehouse and Adele might rock the swooping eyeliner and heavy blush, but it isn’t necessary in order to get a man’s attention – simply go to the corner store in a simplistic outfit with natural makeup and buy a water and a pack of gum – the cashier is likely to greet you with a “How are you, miss? Very pretty today.” Suddenly, it’s not just the gum that’s making your mouth water and your eyes widen – perhaps it’s a sales tactic, but it works.

Again, safety first. What increases the genuineness of these compliments is that you might receive them when the sun is still out – you don’t have to wait for the darkened hours at the pub for a man with far too many drinks in him to stumble upon you and your friends and strike up conversations with one or all of you. It can be on the way to class, or walking back home from a trip to the grocery store. The difference in mood is astounding, and proves how far a little sweet talk can go. Although these occurrences are common, they don’t happen everyday – but the possibility leaves you in the mood to feel beautiful, which makes for a
 fantastic outlook on everyday. Especially when a new city awaits you, you want to feel wonderful about yourself and appreciate every moment, and the locals here know that! Just rise, shine, and smile, because if one man doesn’t look twice, the next one will look three times – it is the positive outlook that makes for the experiential difference. And lets face it, we put the effort into our appearance, so it is satisfying to be acknowledged for it. English speaking or not, these men will get your tongue tied and your head spinning – so “watch out” is great advice, because you’ll need to keep your eyes (and ears) open over here on the other side of the Atlantic – and one of these days, maybe you’ll even snag a catcall from Hugh Grant himself.

When studying abroad, take the advice your family and friends may bombard you with: have a blast, be careful, and definitely watch out for men. The next time you’re walking past that herd of construction workers, imagine that the catcall has been matured and multiplied, and you can get a feel for a walk down a European street. No wonder all these Americans are flocking to Europe to have a taste of the laid back lifestyle – a cappuccino and a compliment? I’ll take that.

Shelby Carignan is a sophomore at Boston University studying journalism.