The “Broke College Student’s” Guide to a Perfect Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Decorating can become quite expensive and it is not first priority on a college kid’s budget. But there are easy ways to spruce up any room using items you already own. My roommates and I got very creative this year when designing our common room. Friends constantly comment on how the space transformed into a homey retreat. Recreating your space is quick and easy when you think outside of the box!

Dorms have a strict rule about lighting candles, but they are essential to create a relaxed environment. Faux tea light candles are sold in various places like Target and Amazon. They usually aren’t the prettiest accessories, but small, colorful plastic shot glasses are the perfect fix! Just put the shot glass over the candle; it usually fits right inside. The light will now be the color of the plastic surrounding it.

Cloth shower curtains can actually be very versatile. They are water resistant and come in many different colors and patterns. My two roommates had extra curtains that weren’t being used in the bathroom, so we got creative. One curtain is now used as a tablecloth to cover the ugly, brown dining room table. It adds color and character, while also helping to control the mess. Spilling drinks is no issue because the shower curtain is meant to get wet. It doesn’t stain and dries quickly. Shower curtains can also be used as a full-wall tapestry. Just stick adhesive wall hooks to the wall and put the holes of the curtain in them. It covers the plain white walls and adds a great contrast at hardly any cost!

Dorm room couches are ugly and unwelcoming. Extra bed sheets are the perfect fix! Take a fitted sheet and put it over the couch. Tuck the sheet in to the spaces in the couch to keep it in place. Use some throw pillows and a blanket to complete the look!

Lighting makes or breaks any space, and lighting in a dorm is dreadful. Clip-on bed lamps are actually great wall sconces. Clip it onto any surface against the wall. Face it up and pointed to the wall to create a light glow.

Goodwill is a college student’s best friend. BU is lucky to have one right on campus. Not many people realize it actually sells home-goods and appliances. To help with lighting, buy cheap lampshades from Goodwill; some are only three dollars! Then decorate them however you want. Draw on it with markers or glue fabric around it. This adds personality and color at hardly any cost.

I hope these tips helped to renovate your drab dorm into a personalized space! 

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.