The Best TV & Movie Dates in History

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, we’re all having visions of pink bubbly champagne, enormous bouquets of ruby red roses, Barry White singing sultry lyrics about true love, and the eyes of that one special guy you haven’t been able to stop thinking about.

Whether you’re going out with your man or staying in with your girls and swooning over the stars of your favorite rom-coms this Valentine’s Day, you’ve definitely seen some enviable dates on screen.

Here are my picks for the most iconic TV and movie dates of all time:

1. Jack & Rose 1st date, Titanic

After dining with Rose and her family, Jack takes Rose to a “real party.” There the third class passengers are drinking cheap beer, playing their instruments, and laughing. Few things sound better than dancing the night away below deck with your new sweetheart.

2. Dan & Serena “Snow Bed” date, Gossip Girl

Dan’s only Christmas wish is that it snows in NYC, so Serena makes her own fake snow and projects a snowy scene onto the walls around her as a Christmas present. Dan loses his virginity that night to Serena. So romantic!

3. Carrie & Big 1st date, Sex And The City

Carrie wears her “naked dress” (tiny tight nude dress) on her first date with Big in Season 1. They end up at a cheap Chinese restaurant munching on greasy spring rolls in their suit and stilettos. Guess the dress was a success!

4. Baby & Johnny “Lake Rehearsal” date, Dirty Dancing

Iconic scene. Shirtless Johnny teaches Baby the final lift in their dance sequence in the water, which quickly turns into steamy touching and giggling.

5. Allie & Noah 1st date, The Notebook

This is probably one of the most romantic scenes in movie history. After practically forcing Allie to go out with him, Noah persuades her to lie in the street and watch the traffic light change color. The night ends with them slow dancing in the street to imaginary music.

6. Aquamarine and Raymond “Fair” date, Aquamarine

The hot lifeguard wins the mermaid a blow-up dolphin at the fair and takes her paddle boating where they talk about life, parents, and Fiji. 

7. Chuck and Blair “Strip Club” date, Gossip Girl

A steamy night of lingerie, pearls, girls, and martinis turns into Blair’s deflowering by her future husband and current enemy Chuck Bass in the back of his limousine. Oh yeah, and she strips at the club as well. Chuck’s eyes are glued to her all night. They both fall in love.

8. Arthur & Great “Grand Central” date, Arthur

Who knew Russell Brand had a romantic side? He rents out Grand Central Station and covers the floor with rose petals. Did I mention the two lovers have their own chef, waiter, and acrobats doing flips behind them on trampolines? I don’t know if anyone can beat that…

9. Kat & Patrick “Paintball” date, 10 Things I Hate About You

Heath Ledger as Patrick takes the shrew Kat out on a paintball date where they share a long colorful kiss. Cute and creative!

10. Lloyd’s wake up call, Say Anything

Although it may be cheesy at times, this scene is the quintessential 80s romantic moment. Heartbroken Lloyd holds a boom box playing Peter Gabriel’s “In Your Eyes” over his head to serenade his ex-girlfriend outside her bedroom window. I’d take this over a regular date any time.

Happy Valentine’s Day to all! 

Roxanne is a 21-year old Boston University student from Düsseldorf, Germany, who is majoring in Film & TV and is currently completing a semester in Los Angeles, California.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.