Medicine cabinet packed full of skincare products
Megan Charles / Her Campus Media
Style > Beauty

Best Skincare Items for the Transition Into the Colder Months

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

The cold months are here and a lot of us will find our skin becoming dry or dull. Especially in New England as the seasons change, it can be beneficial to change up your skincare routine to deal with the changing weather.

Glossier Balm Dotcom

The Balm Dotcom from Glossier is my go-to for lip balm. The formula isn’t too glossy, but has a slight sheen and stays on all day. It’s a great way to combat the dry air of fall and winter, even under a mask! There are currently nine flavors in the line with wild fig being the newest edition. I personally love the rose flavor, which has a subtle tint, but I’m looking forward to trying wild fig!

Farmacy Honey Potion Antioxidant Hydration Mask

Farmacy’s Honey Potion mask is amazing for cold weather and really fun to use. The mask itself has a honey-like texture which when you rub it into your skin turns smooth and white. It even warms up as it presses against your face. I’ve found that it’s best to use the mask on a regular, consistent basis if you want long term results. This is definitely a pricey product at over $50, but you need so little to cover your face that the product lasts a very long time.

CeraVe Moisturizing Cream

If you like skincare, then you’ve probably stumbled upon Hyram’s YouTube channel— and know how much he recommends CeraVe no matter your skin type. It’s such a reliable brand that’s also affordable and conveniently at most drugstores. Their moisturizing cream is great for the cold months. I use it on my dry skin both in the morning and at night. It’s definitely very thick and hydrating, but I don’t find it overpowering.

CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser

Another great CeraVe product is their hydrating cleanser. Because it isn’t on your skin for very long, I prefer a simple cleanser that isn’t going to strip my skin and instead just gently clean. This is a non-foaming, gel-like cleanser that is great at getting a simple clean after removing makeup. Being CeraVe, it’s also a very affordable option that’s going to last a decent amount of time.

Caudalie Hand and Nail Cream

Cold air also means dry hands for a lot of people. This hand cream is a miracle worker with rich hydration but also sinks into the skin really quickly so it never leaves a film behind. It’s also a product you don’t need to use much of, so it lasts a very long time. Skincare is often about products for your face, but don’t neglect other areas like your hands!

These are some of the products I’ll be using, but remember skincare is so personal and it’s best to try multiple things to find what works well for you! I really recommend looking into reviews for different products at both the drugstore and higher-end stores.

Remember that more money doesn’t always mean a better item!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Laura is a sophomore at Boston University majoring in English. She's usually reading, watching a movie, or listening to the Pride and Prejudice soundtrack while sipping on an iced coffee.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.