The Best Quick Fixes for Common Mishaps

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It has happened to all of us. You’re walking down crowded Comm Ave and someone knocks into you, spilling your coffee all over your white shirt. Suddenly you are having the worst day ever and you just want to go home and quit. It’s true that having coffee spilled all over you is no fun, but it’s something you can easily handle. Check out our list of quick fixes for day-to-day wardrobe malfunctions.

The Coffee Spill. Some fabrics are so delicate that they may not be able to recover from having a drink spilled on them, but for most fabrics, there is still hope. As soon as the spill happens, head into the nearest bathroom and blot the stained area with a wet and soapy paper towel. Once you’ve gotten as much as possible out, position the fabric under the hand dryers. The hot air should dry the water right up and leave your shirt looking almost good as new. If you’re not satisfied with the results, repeat both steps again.

The Run. It is so easy to get a run or a rip in your tights, and it seems impossible to fix. Once again it is very important to act fast and start to fix the tear as soon as you notice it. Grab some clear nail polish or glue and dab it onto the area that is beginning to pull. It should dry in no longer than a minute and that will stop the run from going further down your tights.

Static. Static can be a girl’s worst enemy. The perfect skirt can look awful stuck to your legs, and hair becomes untamable mixed with static electricity. When your clothes are sticking to you, just grab some hair spray and apply it to the dress and your body. The hair spray will eliminate the static cling. For hair, moisture is key. Add any kind of product you have on hand to your hair and make sure to spread it evenly. If you have access to your hair product collection, going with a gloss serum or a cream would be best. John Frieda’s Frizz-ease collection is great for dealing with static. If you can’t find any products, check in the nearest convenience store for dryer sheets. Rub one or two over your strands and it will get rid of any static you have. They’re also cheaper than buying a bottle of hair product. 

Broken Zipper. When the zipper breaks on your skirt or dress you may truly think there is nothing that can be done. This is when it comes in handy to carry around a safety pin or two. Use them to secure the skirt or dress temporarily. If the zipper is just stuck, rub a pencil on it. The graphite will loosen the zipper and you’ll be able to get it working again.

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.