The Best Female Songs of Your Childhood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

There are a lot of “throwback” playlists out there —songs from the 90s and early 2000s that we grew up with. Backstreet Boys, *NSYNC, Britney and Spice Girls always make the cut. But I compiled a list of my favorite female throwback songs. If you’re a girl who grew up in the early 2000s, you should definitely recognize these hits.

1. “Get Out (Leave)” by JoJo – Before T. Swift we had a female voice of our generation who made you want to yell at every middle school boy who ever broke your heart. Her name—JoJo. Her awesomeness level—supreme. If she were in a Taylor Swift music video, she’d be the other woman. And to top it off, she had that aggressive female attitude we all wanted to copy. And if all that wasn’t enough, she’s from our very own Beantown.  
  2. “Cinderella” by the Cheetah Girls – If you don’t know this song, you should. The successor to Destiny’s Child’s “Independent Woman”, “Cinderella” represents the survivor in all of us, the female fighter. 
  3. “Playas Gon’ Play” by 3LW – No one ever really talks about this female group, 3LW. Destiny’s Child may have overshadowed the Three Little Women, but this song for sure will live on in my book. 
  4. “Come on Over” by Christina Aguilera –– Although Christina is still coming out with singles, this one song was my favorite. “Genie in a Bottle” is a close second. “Come on Over” was on my Hit Clips though, so it’s pretty much the best.
  5. “S Club Party” by S Club 7 – This song, and really any other S Club 7 song should make it to any good throwback playlist. Although not entirely a female band, it deserves recognition under my throwback umbrella. Not only did this hot British band have their own TV show, but their hit “Never Had a Dream Come True” made it into virtually all middle school dances/Bar Mitzvah parties. Now that is success. And let’s not forget how cool their sweet dance moves and 90s crop tops were. 
  6. “Us Against the World” by Play – This song made appearances in both Mary-Kate and Ashley’s Holiday in the Sun as well as Lizzie McGuire. Literally though, the girl band actually performed in the MK & A movie. Clearly, that is an accomplishment worthy of praise. I’ll leave you with the Holiday in the Sun clip…because it’s too good not to include. 
  7. “C’est La Vie” by Bewitched – This song is definitely one of my all-time favorites. It’s so good it could have been on a Now CD. Also, the music video looks like a bad green screen job met with the opening scene of The Sound of Music…need I say more? 
  8. “Three Small Words” by Josie and the Pussycats – When my friends say that they haven’t seen the movie Josie and the Pussycats, I immediately go into shock. It’s only the greatest girl band motion picture ever…basically a classic. 
  9. “That’s So Raven” theme song – The awesomeness in this one pretty much speaks for itself. The show alone is now a Disney classic for our generation, but the theme song was so catchy I had to add it to my throwback list. 
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.