This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As an avid fan of fashion and new trends, I tuned into this year’s Golden Globes to see which designer duds would appear on the red carpet. Each year, we see new colors, patterns and hairstyles, which gives us a hint of what’s to be expected throughout the upcoming year.

I have to admit, I was underwhelmed by the dresses, jewelry and various accessories at the Globes. There were very few celebrities who took a risk and got it right. The color trend on the carpet: bright, almost neon yellow. While this color definitely pops, it’s not right for many skin tones. One celebrity who tried the color but failed to make it work: Paula Patton. Although she almost always nails it on the carpet, she seemed to be lost in her flowy, yellow gown.

My three favorites this year: Charlize Theron, Sofia Vergara and Heidi Klum. There isn’t a negative thing to say about Charlize-she looked perfect from head to toe. Although her DIor gown was a soft, blush tone, the large ruffle on the left side added drama. She is also one of few actresses who can pull off a high knee slit and deep-V at the same time. Sofia Vergara’s hour-glass figure looked incredible in Vera Wang’s peacock blue gown. The color was perfect for her skin tone and the soft contrast at the bottom of the dress was simple, but elegant. Heidi Klum seems to always be a best-dressed celebrity and she did it again this year with a Calvin Klein Collection minimalist dress. It was chic and sleek, but the open back added just enough sex appeal. The turquoise bib-necklace and matching ring were a perfect accent to her look.

Unfortunately, not everyone can get it right on the red carpet. Sarah Michelle Gellar, Madonna, Zooey Deschanel and Jessica Biel were among the few who made this year’s Worst Dressed List. However, the Golden Globes marks off the beginning of award season so everyone has a chance to pull it together for the SAGs or Oscars. I look forward to seeing what new trends appear on the red carpet and hope the celebrities have more drama and style to bring throughout the 2012 season.

The Top 3 Best Dressed

Ashley Rossi is a sophomore at Boston University studying Magazine Journalism and Mass Communication. After living in a small town for most of her childhood she looked towards the city for an exciting adventure. At BU Ashley has volunteered with the Community Service Center and written for various publications, including The Buzz and College Fashionista. Her goal is to eventually run the creative department for any major fashion magazine or international design house. Ashley also blogs daily on her blog, Gossip, Chanel, and English Tea on Tumblr. In the meantime she enjoys relaxing on the beach, watching Gossip Girl and Weeds, and reading the next Lauren Weisberger novel.