This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Many dancers have videos documenting every recital since the age of 2. But my first recital was in 2011, my freshman year of high school. 

At 14, I felt like I needed to find a hobby to help me transition to high school.  I had always admired those who danced and was guilty of binge-watching Dance Moms- in awe of the amazing talent and the excitement of the competitive dance world.  However, when I told my mom I wanted to sign up for a dance class, she worried that I wouldn’t be able to keep up with the girls my age who already had years of experience and training.  Nonetheless, I was persistent. Within a few weeks, I was walking into my dance studio for the first time.

After taking classes for a few months, meeting the dance teacher who would become my mentor, and discovering the girls who would become my extended family, I knew dance was my passion. The work was hard and it was intimidating trying to keep up with the other girls. But I knew it was all worth it.  Never before had I loved something so much.

My dance teacher, who helped me follow my dreams and reach my goals, formed a competition team my first year. Taking a chance on me, she welcomed me as a member. That changed my life. I didn’t know it at the time, but my team would become a major part of my life over the next 4 years and help shape me into the person I am today.

With my team and our amazing teacher, we competed in 3 nationals, countless regionals, and one incredible showcase.  I progressed from being in 3 group dances my first year, to being in 6 group dances and having my own solo my senior year.  During this time, I had the privilege of competing with my team in 15 different dances not to mention the endless choreography of 4 recitals.

I will never regret my decision to begin dancing in high school, but starting dance so late has come with its challenges.  As far as I’ve come throughout the years, it is hard to match the flexibility and technique of my peers who have been training their whole lives. In college, it has been difficult to get chosen at auditions and I often lack the skillset required for many teams at this level. Part of me is frustrated that I missed out on the time I could have spent dancing and preparing myself for the world of college and professional dance. However, I refuse to give up on my passion even as the difficulty and competitiveness increases. I have learned to appreciate small roles, any and all dance classes I have an opportunity to take, and the large community of dancers that I will always be a part of. 

The memories of my dance studio and team will last me a lifetime but, more importantly, so will my passion for dance.

Lexa is a junior at Boston University, studying Journalism in the College of Communication. You can often find her sipping on an iced coffee and trying to take an artsy photo that fits her Instagram aesthetic. Lexa hopes she can someday combine her passions for fashion, art, dance, and writing into a career, but for now, she'll be strolling down Comm Ave trying to make #LifeasLexa a personal brand.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.