Bay State Late Night vs. Warren Late Nite

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

What would a college student do without a dose of food every other hour? She would probably faint or get extremely temperamental. These two things could easily happen to me. After money, food is one of the top ten necessities of an undergrad. Food gives us an energy boost to march along Comm. Ave and stay attentive in class. Most of us probably have several classes each day and are busy with sports practice, workout sessions, or club meetings. How could we possible function without food with such a lifestyle?

For me, I get really hungry during the night, roughly around 10-11 p.m. My late night grumbles seem totally normal because of having exhorted tons of energy earlier in the day. Fortunately for BU students, Dining Services offers a few delights for owl eaters. Bay State Late Night Kitchen and Warren Towers Late Nite Café are the top picks.

Besides the spelling of “night”, the two Kitchens have their differences. For instance, Warren Towers has quite a homogenous menu, by means that 90% of the food is greasy and fried. Recently, I noticed that Warren Towers Late Nite added a few new dishes to the menu that were not fit for my personal taste. And, Bay State Late Night has a hearty menu, but it has a biting substitution policy. There is a good and bad side to everything in this world. Therefore, I have decided to make a 2014 PROS and CONS list for Late Night and Late Nite. Let’s roast! 

Bay State Late Night

Pros1. Full-time restaurantIf you are in the mood to dine-in, the Late Night staff is at your service! Late Night Bay State is a great place to eat with your peers or your overnight guests.

2. EntertainmentLate Night has three televisions set up in the restaurant. You can watch sports or news shows while you are sharing a plate of edamame with friends or relaxing and eating solo.

3. MenuLate Night Bay State has a full-range menu, including burgers, styled Mac-and-cheeses, Sargent Choice salads, pizzas, and other filling entrees. The prices are reasonable and you can feel full in no time!

4. Take-outIf you are writing an essay or studying for an exam, you can pickup take-out and then continue working back at your dorm. The process is easy with your BU ID! (Credit cards are accepted). The host writes down your order, swipes your card (the host automatically has your name for the order), and then brings out the food when it is ready. Orders take no more than 15-20 minutes! 

5. Opens at 5:00 pmIf you have a late night class project meeting or tickets to a Friday night game, you can pop over to Late Night and get a quick bite to eat. The service is fast and you will be in-and-out feeling stuffed and satisfied.

Cons1. Closes at 11 p.m. on Monday-Wednesday and Sunday and closes at 1 a.m. on Thursday-Saturday.   You have to keep track of the dining schedule. You do not want to make the mistake of walking all the way to the restaurant and then denied access (I would know). Late Night has funky hours, but you can memorize the days over the course of a week.

2. DistanceIf you live in West Campus, the trip to Bay State might take some time whether you ride the BU shuttle or take the T-train.

3. Limited seatingThere is a good amount of seats available, but Late Night has busy nights on Fridays and Saturdays. If you plan on dining with a large group, you want to eat before 9 p.m.

Warrens Towers Late Nite

Pros1. Open until 1 a.m. seven days a weekThe good thing about Late Nite is the late hours. If you miss getting into the doors at Bay State Late Night, you can walk a few blocks to Warren Towers.

2. ConvenienceWarren Towers is almost halfway between East Campus and West Campus. On weekdays, the BU shuttle stops a block away from Warren Towers, so the commute is short and simple.

3. Food suppliesBesides setting up food stations, Late Nite has a small market set up every night as well. You can purchase microwavable dinners, chips and salsa, salads, 5-hour Energy shots, soft drinks, or even Ben and Jerry’s ice cream.

Cons1. Greasy menuA majority of the food listed on the Late Nite menu are greasy, cheesy or fried. It is definitely “comfort food” but the food selection is not so healthy.

2. Late OpeningAlthough Late Nite stays open until 1 a.m., it does not start serving food until 9:30 p.m. compared to Late Night’s 5 o’clock starting time.

Whenever you feel hungry in the late hours of the night and need a place to eat, recall this list and choose the place that best fits your appetite!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.