etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Ariana Grande’s SNL Skits Slayed Us All

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

In all honesty, I was never much of an Ariana Grande fan.  Between her role as the ultra-ditzy red-head Cat Valentine on Victorius and her role as the stereotypical sorority girl in Scream Queens, I honestly wondered if that’s how she was off-screen, too.  And then, who can forget that bizarre donut-licking incident?  All of that aside, however, Ariana Grande surprised me with her incredible Saturday Night Live performance, as both the host and musical guest. From her acting in each of the sketches to her live musical performance, it was hard not to admit that the girl’s got talent!

In all the sketches, Ariana Grande’s impressions were what really stood out.  In a parody of celebrity family feud, Ariana Grande took on the role of actress Jennifer Lawrence.  Portraying J-Law’s infamous laid-back and down-to-earth attitude, Grande honestly could’ve passed for the Hunger Games starlet.

In another sketch, Ariana Grande played a shy, awkward intern at a music streaming service, where, because of technical difficulties, she had to sing in the voices of popular singers such as Britney Spears, Shakira, Rihanna, and Celine Dion.  But out of all her musical impersonations, her cover of Whitney Houston’s “I Will Always Love You” was by far the most impressive.  A singer known for her incredible vocals, Whitney Houston is no easy person to try to match.  However, Ariana Grande even slayed the high notes on the classic ballad!

Of course, you can’t forget about Ariana Grande’s amazing performance of her own songs, “Dangerous Woman” and “Be Alright.”  Unlike many popular artists, Ariana Grande sounds as talented live as she does on the radio.  Just by the way she performs, you can see her love for music and singing is authentic.

Overall, her comedic acting and genuine talent made her both entertaining and personable, and I’m definitely a proud new member of her fan base.  After watching her Saturday Night Live performance, I’m ready to buy tickets to her next tour!

Lexa is a junior at Boston University, studying Journalism in the College of Communication. You can often find her sipping on an iced coffee and trying to take an artsy photo that fits her Instagram aesthetic. Lexa hopes she can someday combine her passions for fashion, art, dance, and writing into a career, but for now, she'll be strolling down Comm Ave trying to make #LifeasLexa a personal brand.
Giana Grimaldi is the Integrated Marketing Director at Her Campus Media, overseeing client services and campaign execution for leading national brands across the company’s digital, experiential and community platforms. Prior to joining Her Campus Media, Giana assisted with the development and implementation of several PR campaigns in the energy, financial services and nonprofit sectors as an Account Coordinator on the Public Relations team at Rasky Partners. Giana attended Boston University, where she studied Communication with a concentration in Public Relations and was also a chapter president of Her Campus at BU. Giana loves all things music, social media, food, and reality TV. When she's not at work, you can find her at the gym, watching Netflix, making the perfect Spotify playlist, or spending hours scrolling through TikTok videos. Follow her on Instagram @_gianamaria.