Angelina’s ‘80s Archive: “Ghostbusters”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Welcome back! As midterms approach, the semester is beginning to get seriously stacked with work this month. I don’t know how it’s possible, but online classes are way more stressful and all-consuming than in-person ones. I like the four foot commute to school as much as the next student, but is it worth it? I am overwhelmed and under-rested. 

As I study, cloistered in my festively decked out bedroom, the prospect of having something to celebrate soon gets me through the late nights (for reference, it is currently 2:18 a.m. as I write this intro). So here’s to our first Halloween movie. This is the Bitchin’ Bio on Ghostbusters.

Release Date: June 8, 1984

Synopsis: In New York City, scientists Peter Venkman (Bill Murray), Ray Stantz (Dan Akroyd), and Egon Spengler (Harold Ramis) lose their positions at Columbia University following a ghost encounter gone wrong. The three then move into a beat-up firehouse where they begin to advertise their business as “Ghostbusters.” When Dana Barrett (Sigourney Weaver) comes to the office with an account of paranormal activity at her apartment, it is not just her story that catches Venkman’s attention. He makes it his mission to get a date with Dana, but as the Ghostbusters’ stardom grows, so does the size of their jobs. The team, including newest member Winston Zeddemore (Ernie Hudson), soon discovers the looming threat of an ancient godlike creature called Zuul. 

How I Watched It: I watched it in theaters over the summer! It was playing for free at Jax Jr., a small theater my family loves to visit when we go to New Hampshire. Everything was still very socially distanced and safe, but going to the movies made me feel the most normal I’d felt in almost half a year. 

Degrees of Kevin Bacon: 1. Bill Murray is in Wild Things (1998) with Kevin Bacon. I genuinely hate how often Wild Things comes up. 

Come For: The classic draws—theme song, Stay Puft marshmallow man, and fearsome foursome. 

Stay For: Janine! Annie Potts is always hilarious, and she luckily has some fun one-liners to make her own here.

Had I Seen It? Yes, but it is one of the many movies in my life that I forgot much of before I saw it again.

Do I Like It? Mostly, yes. But it’s hard for me to really like Venkman. His early scene of hitting on his student is just plain gross. The way he pursues Dana without really taking her concerns into account is not charming. It isn’t that I don’t like Bill Murray, because I do. A lot of his jokes are great, and he is genuinely funny in his delivery, as always, but the way he treats women just grinds my gears. It prevents me from fully supporting his character. What can I say? I’m a Spengler fan all the way.  

Photo by Ryan Miguel Capili from Pexels
I believe the special effects in this film still look great and seeing it on the big screen made it obvious to me why it was so popular upon its release (and has been since!). The feeling you get when crowds of New Yorkers repeatedly chant “Ghostbusters!” is so uplifting that you want to chant along with them, which I might have actually done. The Stay Puft marshmallow man is iconic, and the scene when he appears is hilarious. So is Rick Moranis as Dana’s neighbor Louis. On a random note, there’s also a background appearance by future ‘80s pop star Debbie Gibson in one scene! This film really does have everything.

I hope you get a little time to relax and enjoy a movie this week. Maybe that movie will even be this one! Next time, we’ll continue with Halloween Week 2: Poltergeist (1982). But until then, I leave you with the Ghostbusters-inspired truth I saw in a meme: “There is no social contact, only Zoom.” 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Angelina is a senior at BU, studying English in the College of Arts and Sciences, with a focus on Shakespeare. She is from Somerville, MA. In addition to writing for HCBU, Angelina is the Director of BU On Broadway Off Broadway and has been involved with theater through BU Shakespeare Society, Wandering Minds, and Stage Troupe. Outside of school, she enjoys dancing, music, baking, and movie marathons. Her pop culture heart lives in the 1980's.