Am I Really a Virgo? Comparing My Personality to Virgo Traits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

My birthday is August 29th, making me a Virgo. I am, as many people are, a bit skeptical of astrological signs and daily horoscopes. How can my birth date predict my personality and what my future holds? I am going to put astrology to the test, and I will find out how my own personality traits align with those of a “typical” Virgo.

photo of an organized closet
Photo by Burgess Milner on Unsplash

The first common trait of a Virgo is being meticulously organized. This is seen as both a strength and weakness of the sign, as their need for organization can sometimes inhibit their ability to get work done. But this can also be a positive thing, as they are able to organize large tasks into smaller steps. My personality does align with this trait; I am always careful about organizing my calendars and schedule. I can also organize my schoolwork and tasks into smaller steps in order to get them done in the most efficient way possible.

people sitting in chairs and taking notes
The Climate Reality Project on Unsplash

Another trait that Virgos possess is their desire to have everything perfect and their lack of being able to go with the flow. Since they are so detail-oriented, things need to be perfect before a Virgo is satisfied. This causes problems when plans go awry and can cause the Virgo a lot of stress. I don’t particularly identify with this trait, although I do like things to be perfect in my academic life. I don’t overcheck my school work before turning it in, no more than the average person. Socially, I do feel stressed if there isn’t a plan, but I can also go with the flow if the plan doesn’t work out as expected. I am a creative problem-solver, which doesn’t seem to be a trait specific to Virgos.

One of the most common Virgo traits is that Virgos are extremely hardworking. They are typically dedicated to whatever they are working on and put their full effort into it. I definitely identify with this trait, as I am very hardworking myself. I always put my full effort into school work or anything I involve myself in.

The Lalafour Girls Standing
Her Campus Media

Another potentially negative Virgo trait is having high standards. Virgos apparently hold themselves, and others, to high standards, often leading to disappointment when those standards aren’t met. I partially identify with this trait because I hold myself to high standards, but not necessarily other people. I am disappointed in myself more often than I am disappointed in other people, and I only hold people to high standards if I have evidence that they can reach them.

Virgos are often slow to open up to people, and they keep themselves guarded before really getting to know someone. This can lead to people thinking they are quite shy and reserved, but once they fully trust someone they will let their guard down. I don’t fully identify with this trait because I don’t think that I’m shy, but I can be slow to fully trust people. I tend to let people open up to me before I open up to others, which aligns with a Virgo’s traits.

My personality traits align pretty closely with those of a typical Virgo, but I am not 100 percent convinced. A lot of the descriptions that are out there of each of the astrological signs are vague, so they are easy to identify with. And that’s why I won’t be putting my full faith in astrology anytime soon!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook​, follow us on I​nstagram,​ check out our ​Pinterest​ board, and read our latest Tweets​!

Jenny is a sophmore at Boston University. She is studying psychology with a minor in special education. She is from Massachusetts, and loves all things MA! Her hobbies include listening to music, watching hockey games, and drinking coffee!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.