Allie Miller (COM ’19)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Meet Allie Miller—a journalism major and freshman in the College of Communication.

Allie came all the way to Boston from Yorba Linda, CA.

“There’s not a lot to do there, but it’s close to a lot of different places,” said Allie. You can get to the beach in 15 minutes or drive to LA in a reasonable amount of time. “It got voted snobbiest city in Orange County,” but she definitely doesn’t fit the demographic.

Her roommates Sarah and Sharleen describe her as “authentic, real, straightforward, chill, comfortable in her own skin, creative, and she loves art.”

Allie mainly wanted to come to Boston to study journalism, but she knew there would be lots of things to do in a city.

She likes going to concerts, art museums, and making thrifty finds around the city. Her favorite places to visit are the Brattle Theatre in Cambridge, the Institute of Contemporary Art, and the Garment District in Cambridge (clothes by the pound ftw).

Allie’s favorite restaurant here (so far) is Felipe’s in Cambridge, because it’s harder to find Mexican food here than in California. It’s hard for her to pick favorites because there’s still so much more to explore.

“I still really want to visit the Isabella Stewart Gardener museum. I really want to go to their Third Thursdays thing,” said Allie.

In general, Allie is open to lots of different things.  She describes her style as a little bit of everything. When she shops at thrift stores, she just grabs whatever she thinks is cool. She doesn’t worry about what it looks like, if it “fits,” or what people will think when she wears it.

She’s the same way with music. She loves going to house shows here in Boston. Even if she doesn’t know the band very well or like the type of music, she goes and has a good time anyway. To Allie, it’s nice to be exposed to new genres of music and different bands because, “you never know if you’ll come out of a show and have a new favorite band.”

Her top 5 favorite bands (in no particular order): Porches, Alex G, Elliott Smith, Chastity Belt, and The Velvet Underground.

Her top 5 Favorite movies (in no particular order): Rosemary’s Baby, Clueless (because everyone has a basic side), Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind, The Shining, and Hotrod.

Allie is interested in pursuing a career in music journalism, possibly writing for a music blog. Allie currently writes for the blog section of the Daily Free Press (she writes a comedy blog called “Master of Pun”), for the culture section of The Buzz, and for Thing Mag’s music section.

“I like to write for different platforms because I can write on different topics that I’m interested in, I can experiment with different styles, and I can think about different audiences I’m writing to. I feel like it’s good to be exposed to a little bit of everything before I decide what I want to do with my life,” she said.

She’s really interested in alternative (unconventional) comedy and standup; she’s recently been enjoying Comedy Central-type shows. Lately she’s been into Nathan for You (Comedy Central), The Eric Andre Show (Adult Swim), and Master of None (Netflix). She has a comedy Instagram with her friends from home called @deadbeeets where she pokes fun at pop culture icons.

If you meet Allie, you quickly learn that she is completely, 100%, unapologetically her own person. That’s something that she (unknowingly) taught me when I doubted who I was, and it’s something you can learn from her, too. Be shamelessly YOU.

Zoe is a Senior at Boston University in the College of Communication, majoring in Public Relations and minoring in English and Psychology, and is the Campus Correspondent for her chapter. Originally from the Washington DC area, Zoe loves going to museums, concerts, and working at Baby Gap. In her free time, Zoe can be found crafting, watching Netflix, and scoping out the latest trends. Always catch her yelling enthusiastically about something, or making really corny jokes.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.