Abby’s Weekly Music Review— Shelly, Troye Sivan, and more

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

While you undoubtedly have heard about the release of Ariana Grande’s new album, there are plenty of other releases from this Friday that are just as noteworthy. Check out this week’s favorites, not-so favorites, and everything in between.

Shelly EP (self-titled)

Collaborating over quarantine, artists and friends Clairo, Claud, Josh Mehling, and Noa Frances Getzug put their heads together and got creative. Titling their group “Shelly,” the friends released a two-song EP and fans are already asking for more. Both songs have a casual, dreamlike quality that is hard to describe. The first track “Steeeam” feels very heady and confessive, with a mellow guitar track and honest lyrics. “Natural” takes a different turn, with Beach House-esque synths and soft, floaty vocals from Clairo and Getzug. Both tracks have been on loop in my headphones since Friday and I have my fingers crossed that the group releases more music soon.

“Dora” by Tierra Whack

Tierra Whack, a twenty-five year old rapper and singer from Philadelphia, is probably one of the more entertaining artists I’ve seen. Whack is notorious for her expressive style and eccentric music. You might have heard her most popular single, “Only Child,” which is a dig at someone for being selfish and deceptive. Her newest track, “Dora,” is another example of Whack’s creativity and lyricism. The beat feels playful and fun, while Whack’s lyrics are witty and made me laugh more than once. Whack also released a creative music video for this single, which you should definitely check out here.

“10/10” by Troye Sivan

In late August, Troye Sivan released his fifth EP, In A Dream. This Friday, Sivan dropped the final track, “10/10,” which was only supposed to be available on the vinyl edition. And boy, am I glad he did. This track feels very different from the other upbeat songs from his EP. “10/10” reminds me of a Sufjan Stevens song: plucky guitar parts, crisp vocals, and heart-wrenching lyrics. This song is perfect for grey weather, feeling nostalgic, and looking out the window while you drive. AKA, another hit from our favorite Australian popstar.

“Plain” by BENEE featuring Lily Allen & Flo Milli

One of my favorite artists from last year was BENEE. The twenty-year-old New Zealander impressed me with her first EP, FIRE ON MARZZ, and I’ve been excited to see what she would come out with next. Since then, BENEE has released a handful of singles, but I have yet to be as impressed as I was with her first EP. Unfortunately, this single is no different. With two impressive features, “Plain” just doesn’t live up to its expectations. It’s not a bad song, it just doesn’t feel new. The beat feels overdone and the lyrics are just okay. Hopefully, BENEE’s album coming out November 13 will have more promising tracks than this one.

Tune in again next Sunday to hear my opinions on next week’s new releases.

Or, follow my Spotify for more music suggestions!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!​

Abby Gross is a sophomore at BU studying neuroscience! Shawty likes listening to music, being outside, eating dim sum, and hanging out with neat people.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.