The 9 Best Shows to Watch This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Fall is a time for Halloween, pumpkin spice lattes, and of course, fall TV premieres. If you’re feeling lost and aren’t sure which shows to check out this month, here’s a guide to the 9 best shows premiering this fall.

1. Brooklyn Nine-Nine

What it’s about: Jake Peralta (Andy Samberg), an immature but talented NYPD detective has a hard time working with the new commanding officer, Captain Ray Holt (Andre Braugher). This police sitcom’s supporting cast includes Melissa Fumero, Stephanie Beatriz, and Terry Crews.

Premiere: September 26th 9:30/8:30c on FOX

Catch up on: Hulu, FOX

2. This is Us

What it’s about: The show follows Jack and Rebecca (Milo Ventimiglia and Mandy Moore) and their kids, Kate, Kevin, and Randall (Chrissy Metz, Justin Hartley, Sterling K. Brown) as they lead different lives. The time switches between flashbacks of their early lives and current day.

Premiere: September 26th 9/8c on NBC

Catch up on: Hulu, NBC

3. Law and Order True Crime: The Menendez Murders

What it’s about: An eight-episode dramatized miniseries starring Edie Falco, Miles Gaston Villanueva, and Gus Halper follows the trial of the Menendez brothers, who killed their parents while they were watching TV in their home. The series follows their trial, secrets about the family, and explores their possible motives.

Premiere: September 26th 10/9c on NBC

Catch up on: NBC

4. Modern Family

What it’s about: A mockumentary-style comedy about one large family and their individual yet unlikely way of the modern family. Each conflict of the show is comical and always connects the family together at the end. The cast includes Ty Burrell, Julie Bowen, Sofia Vergara, and more.

Premiere: September 27th 9/8c ABC

Catch up on: Hulu, ABC

5. Survivor

What it’s about: A reality series hosted by Jeff Probst, where 18 players are cast into different tribes on a deserted island. They have to compete in a series of challenges to outlast one another. Each week, one member of a tribe is sent home until one wins the title of Sole Survivor.

Premiere: September 27th 8/7c on CBS

Catch up on: CBS All Access

6. The Good Place

What it’s about: When Eleanor Shellstrop (Kristen Bell) dies in an unfortunate manner, she finds herself put in the good place of the afterlife, reserved for only the most well-deserved people. She soon finds out that she was wrongly put in the good place, and things take a turn for the worse as she and her supposed soul mate, Chidi (William Jackson Harper) try to cover it up.

Premiere: September 28th 8:30/7:30c on NBC

Catch up on: Netflix, Hulu, NBC

7. Riverdale

What it’s about: Based on the characters from Archie Comics, the show follows the aftermath of the murder of Jason Blossom, the school quarterback. As the gang tries to find out who murdered Jason, they face trouble with parents, friends, and love. The show stars KJ Apa, Lili Reinhart, Cole Sprouse, and Camila Mendes.

Premiere: October 11th 8/7c on The CW

Catch up on: Netflix, The CW

8. Jane the Virgin

What it’s about: Jane Villanueva (Gina Rodriguez) makes a promise to her grandmother and herself to stay a virgin until marriage. Things quickly change when she is accidentally artificially inseminated. The donor ends up being her boss, Rafael Solano (Justin Baldoni). Jane finds herself with a hard decision to make, while also being caught in a love triangle, facing family struggles, and trying to become a writer.

Premiere: October 13th 9/8c on The CW

Catch up on: Netflix, The CW

9. Stranger Things

What it’s about: Set in a small town in 1983, Joyce (Winona Ryder) finds that her son Will (Noah Schnapp) has gone missing. With help from Chief Hopper (David Harbour) and Will’s friends (Finn Wolfhard, Gaten Matarazzo, Caleb McLaughlin) they find that the supernatural may be to blame for the sudden disappearance of Will.

Premiere: October 27th on Netflix

Catch up on: Netflix

If you’re looking for a fun and new show to watch this fall, make sure you check these 9 out!

Callie is double majoring in English and Cinema and Media Studies at Boston University. Outside of writing for HerCampus, her interests include watching movies, reading, skiing, and beauty. She is a Boston native. 
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.