7 Tips to Add Disney Into Your Life Without Breaking the Bank

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As much as I love Disney, I can’t lie and say it’s affordable. Park tickets are constantly going up in price, and if you don’t live nearby, you have the additional fee of travel and housing accommodations. It’s worth it to go, but it’s not plausible to go all the time. So, how can you add as much Disney magic as possible into your home life without breaking the bank? Read on to find out!

1. Follow social media.

This is one of the best ways to keep up-to-date on the newest Disney things: new merch, new park updates, new movies, etc. A super-reliable account that’s run by Disney is called Oh My Disney; I’ve noticed the most amount of content being posted here on Facebook. For merch, a really sweet woman runs @disneylifestylers on Instagram and is followed by official Disney accounts and celebrities such as Josh Gad. Lastly, follow other people who love Disney! I follow a bunch of people who work in the theme parks or dress up as princesses for parties, and their accounts usually have fabulous costumes and fantastic singing!

2. Read travel guides.

This definitely isn’t for everyone, but it has become one of my guilty pleasures. Bookstores have a ton of different books for Disney travel guides, including Birnbaum’s, which is one of the best. They’re updated yearly, so you can usually find out the major improvements or closures in the parks, and get some helpful tips and fun facts.

3. Check out this hidden mystery book.

The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World by Simon Veness has way more information than someone could ever learn (but I’m going to try!). It has the history of the parks, hidden gems you can find today, and more! There’s also a trivia book that goes along with it if you want to test your knowledge or bring it along when you visit the park.

4. Go to garage sales.

Something I learned very quickly over the past few summers is that garage sales have tons of amazing stuff. My mom brought me along to a few as she loves them, and I found Disney things myself! For example, I found some lithographs from the Disney Store that date back to 1995 and are unobtainable now, original posters from movies like Beauty and the Beast, and a Mickey toaster that sings. A lot of the items you may find are super rare, and will add flair to your home or dorm room!

5. Sign up for Disney movie rewards.

There’s a good chance that you have a ton of Disney movies and are constantly adding more to your collection. In the past few years, they’ve added codes to these DVD cases that can get you free goodies! You make an account online and add the code in every time you make a purchase, and can save up for items such as miniature statues, movie tickets, and backstage tours!

6. Have a movie night.

With the movies you already own, create a magical night! Set up your fairy lights, bring over some friends, grab a glass or two of wine, and pop some popcorn. You can sing along to your favorite songs with your friends and share in the love of Disney.

7. Accessorize and decorate.

There’s a ton of cheaper Disney items out there, whether it be from Target or a garage sale. Throwing a painting up on the wall or adding a pillow to your bed can make all the difference in the world. If you want to wear something Disney but don’t want to be too over the top, there are some really cute small necklaces and rings available. I’ve seen some in stores like Macy’s and BoxLunch.

I hope these tips help you find a way to incorporate Disney into your daily life! Maybe it won’t be as extreme as me (come see my dorm room), but you can still have a little magic.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Francesca is currently studying human physiology in the beautiful city of Boston. She loves to curl up with a good book or watch a Disney movie any chance she gets.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.