7 Signs that You’re in Too Deep with Netflix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

How do you know you’re too invested in a TV series? Probably when you look in the mirror and realize you’ve been wearing the same sweats for three days and have only gotten up from your bed to switch up your snack rotation. You, my friend, are now officially in a committed relationship with Netflix. It’s staring you right in the face, but if you’re still in denial, here’s how to determine if you’re in too deep with Netflix.

1. When you first started, it was harmless.

A friend recommended a TV show that you might like, so you logged into her account and watched the pilot. And you liked it – a lot. Then you watched six more episodes.

2. You decided acquiring your own account was a MUST.

You fell in love with Netflix, but it didn’t seem like a problem. You convinced yourself that you didn’t want to inconvenience your friend, but deep down you knew it was so that she couldn’t see exactly how many episodes you were actually watching.

3. Once you started, you couldn’t stop.

You’ve now found ways to fit Netflix into your daily life. Whether it be during a meal or in place of a meal, Netflix has officially infiltrated your day-to-day schedule – and you’re not even mad about it.

4. You’ve transformed into a couch potato.

Whether or not you were productive before, now you can’t peel yourself away from Netflix. “Just one more episode” has lost all of its meaning, and one episode has turned into one season.

5. You’ve become emotionally invested in the characters.

When something sad happens to one of your beloved characters, you feel as if it’s happening directly to you. You realize that for the past half hour you’ve been sobbing into your sweatshirt sleeve, hyperventilating, and feeling sick to your stomach with pure hatred for the character who even dared to hurt your favorite.

6. You’ve become overly defensive of the TV show.

When your friends ask how many episodes you’ve watched consecutively or even dare to suggest that you take a break, you lash out to defend yourself. When even your sweet, loving mother suggests that it’s time to put the laptop down, you snarl at her and clutch it tightly. You are officially unrecognizable to all around you.

6.You feel empty when you reach the finale.

Once you’ve watched the final scene, you feel as if your life has no meaning, no purpose. You suddenly feel a sense of disappointment and you feel lost.

If the signs above apply to you, you are head-over-heels in love with Netflix. My advice is to put down the laptop and schedule weekly dates with Netflix. Maybe only see each other on Saturday nights for a few hours, but keep it short. Netflix is beloved world-wide, but that doesn’t mean it needs to take over and run your life.

Jamie is a freshman in the Boston University College of Communication with the intention of obtaining a degree in Journalism. Her main interests include beauty and lifestyle content, as she seeks to use her extensive knowledge in the beauty industry to help out other girls and spread self-confidence. She hopes to have a career in the magazine industry as a writer. If you can't find Jamie taking a nice, long stroll down Newbury with a Starbucks vanilla iced latte in hand, you'll be sure to find her sitting on BU Beach binge-watching Netflix. Follow Jamie on Instagram: @jamshore
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.