This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

A new year–a time of celebration and sometimes forgotten New Years resolutions–is finally here! I’ll let you in on a little secret: one of my resolutions is to branch out and be more adventurous with what I eat. The restaurant and food industries are always looking to spice things up (literally), and this year is no exception! Here are some of the best trends in food you can expect during 2014. 

1. Locally grown food and produce

This one is a trend that’s sticking around from last year. Farmer’s markets and local foods and produce are huge in the food scene. Make A Difference Mondays in our dining halls takes part in this trend. Be sure to visit your nearby farmer’s markets to cook with items grown locally here in the Massachusetts and greater New England area!

2. Combination and crossover foods

If you know what a cronut is, then you get what I mean by this one. Chefs across the country are crossing and combining foods and flavors that we wouldn’t necessarily expect to go well together, just as a cronut is a donut-croissant crossover. Keep your eyes peeled for some combination sweet and savory foods and dishes. 

3. Sriracha

This Southeast Asian hot sauce is still reigning king in 2014. Sriracha is made of chili peppers, vinegar, garlic, sugar and salt, and can is used as the staple of many noodle and salad dishes. Sriracha adds the perfect amount of spice to a dish. 

4. Bacon 

Bacon is nothing new, but it’s becoming the center of everything we eat. Bacon is being added to some of our favorite comfort food dishes like mac and cheese, but you’ll be sure to see bacon used in unique ways in 2014, especially in desserts–bacon chocolate chip cookies, anyone?

5. Quinoa

Quinoa is a unique grain that is slowly replacing rice and pasta in tons of favorite dishes. It’s also loaded with protein, so it’s both delicious and healthy! Depending on what you toss with or add to it, quinoa can make for a great meal during any time of the day. 

6. Natural sweeteners

2014 is the year to kiss your artificial sweeteners goodbye. Agave nectar, honey, Stevia and blackstrap molasses are all great natural (and delicious!) substitutes to sweeten your favorite drinks and yogurts. 

7. Mediterranean dips

Hummus is totally huge this year. 2014 is also a fan of other Mediterranean dips such as tabbouleh, tzatziki and baba ganoush. All of these make for great snacks paired along with your fa vorite veggies, chips and crackers for dipping! Great for a Superbowl party!

Devoted fan of ballet flats, "Breakfast at Tiffany’s," Italian desserts and pajama sets. Firm believer that I was Audrey Hepburn in my past life. Journalism sophomore at Boston University. Follow @hrh_victoria on Twitter.
    Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.