This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Parents can be the hardest people to shop for during the holidays. They’re some of the most important people in our lives, but as their children, it can be hard to find the perfect gift. You want to show how much you appreciate them while also maintaining a well-balanced holiday budget. All parents have different personalities and interests, but here are a couple of ideas for you!

Side note: You can, of course, give any of these gifts to Mom or Dad – this is just a basic list of ideas.

For Dad:

1. Apparel from his favorite sports team.

Credit: Groupon

Is your dad a football fan? What about hockey? Baseball? The Red Sox did just win the World Series. Whoever his favorite team is, he always needs more apparel to show the world his pride! Browse online or in-store and pick him up a new hat, jersey, sweatshirt – there are endless possibilities!

2. Personalized mousepad.

Credit: GiftsForYouNow

Does Dad spend long days at work? Is he always doing things on his computer? Remind him of where his heart is and put your face on a mousepad! It’s a great way to personalize his workspace with a touch of home. A great gift for Mom too!

3. Tech gadgets.

Credit: @iupdate on YouTube

Some dads always want the new fancy gadgets, and these days, there are so many awesome ones to choose from. You could get Dad a wireless charger, Bluetooth headphones, a Google Home/Amazon Echo, or chip in with some other family members and get him a new cell phone!

For Mom:

1. Jewelry essentials.

Credit: DuJour

With busy everyday lives, our moms easily forget to switch up their jewelry. There is always a need for new basic pearl earrings or a pretty silver necklace. Examine your mom’s jewelry taste and go pick out something you think she’ll love!

2. A plan to do something together.

Credit: Robyn on The Keep Calm-O-Matic

Surprise Mom with the thing she wants the most – time spent with you! Give her tickets to a play you’ll go see together, set a date for a shopping trip on you, or give her a gift card for a mother-daughter dinner out.

3. AncestryDNA kit. 

Credit: Ancestry

A gift perfect for anyone! Give Mom the gift of exploring her heritage and ethnicity. She can not only confirm her family history, but she can also connect with long lost family members. It’s a gift that keeps on giving!

Whatever you get your parents this holiday season, remember they will love it. It may be a trite phrase but it’s true when it comes to parents – it’s the thought that counts. The fact that you put so much thought into giving them something is the greatest gift of all.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Alexandra Kallfelz is a senior studying journalism at Boston University. Besides writing, Alexandra's passions include color guard, travel, Netflix, music, and Disney. She is a pure-blood New Englander and a dog fanatic.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.