yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

6 Autumn-Related Things to Treat Yourself to this Midterm Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Somehow, the time has escaped from your grasp and today can no longer be considered the beginning of the school year. Midterms are coming and the work seems to be piling up, or for those of us less fortunate, it has already piled up and we have somehow survived? But not to fret, at least we have the changing colors of the trees and the pumpkin-spiced *insert your favorite food or drink* breaking your bank. So when you’re ready for a study break, treat yourself to these autumn-related things to practice your self-care this midterm season.

Buy some fall-scented candles.

Okay, well loads of scents remind me of fall, pumpkin being my personal favorite. Go out and get yourself a candle to set you up with a cozy warm vibe to keep you going for the next couple of months.

If you can’t have a candle, consider investing in a wall plug-in to still keep the scent going on all month long.

Start working on your Halloween costume.

I’m just including this pastime for good measure ‘cause I’m sure most of you have already put in a little thought into it. Check out Pinterest for some ideas and then head out to Goodwill, the costume store, or Target to start putting your costume together.

Eat a slice of pumpkin cheesecake.

What problem can cheesecake not solve? Last time I was at Trader Joe’s getting my groceries for the week, I peaked into the freezer section to find some pumpkin cheesecake. While I still haven’t tried it (it’s my treat for the end of this week), I’d recommend giving it a try.

If you’re up for a longer study break, you can try making your own pumpkin cheesecake. Find some recipes here for how to make them.

Maybe a pumpkin spice latte is more your thing?

If cheesecake isn’t your calling, then try some other fall-related goodies filled with cinnamon, pumpkin, or apple. Regardless of whatever coffee shop you find refuge in while grinding out some work, you’ll find some holiday drink or food to treat yourself after a couple of hours of studying, or maybe even 20 minutes of studying?

Go for a stroll in Boston Common.

This will definitely be the cheapest study break, so I highly recommend it! Throw on your fall coat and scarf and go for a walk. If it is a milder fall day, then bring your homework and find a space under a tree to get that big history book out of the way, or do your own light reading. Maybe bring a slice of pumpkin cheesecake to enjoy amid the colorful leaves.

Go visit a pumpkin patch.

Okay, I promise this is the last time I will talk about pumpkins! But if you really need to get out of the house, jump straight into the perfect fall activity! Grab some friends, dress up in your favorite sweaters and scarves, and get some Insta-worthy pics to join in on the craze. Maybe even pick up some pumpkins to decorate your windowsill or carve.

Whatever you choose, just embrace the warm autumn vibe and make the most out of this season, both academically and physically!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

I'm a sophomore at Boston University studying journalism and public health.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.