5 Things Guys Think We Carry in our Purses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

The relationship between a woman’s purse and a man is complicated. Either the man views the purse as a sacred relic – a mysterious sanctuary – that must remain untouched OR he is unconditionally afraid of coming near it, deliberatively remaining ignorant of what lies inside.

There is a reoccurring theme in these theories: men seem to have formulated an extensive idea of what we carry in our purses. In our perspective, purses (and what they contain) are prime necessities. Every item has its purpose. Every item is placed with care and intention. Every item is a fraction of what makes up the whole. We seem to have mastered (or maybe were born knowing) what to place in our gorgeous, multi-shaped, multi-colored bags. There is nothing intimidating about our purses, so why do men stray away from them? Is it out of respect… or fear? Do they even know what it is they contain?

After asking around, here are the 5 things men believe we place in our bags and their reasoning’s:

1.“A Huge Non-essential Keychain”:

They Say: Girls carry more keychains than actual keys. Instead of taking their car and house key, they add “sea-shells”, “beads”, “teddy bears” and Shaws/CVS/other convenience cards.

We Say: It’s cute! And its practical. It makes it easier to find our keys inside our purses, plus it adds a little personality.

2.“A Gigantic Wallet”:

They Say: Girls already have a purse, which means they are already carrying excessively; to top it off, they add a huge wallet. All you need in your wallet is a student ID, your credit and debit cards, medical insurance card, driver’s license and a couple of dollar bills. At the most, the wallet should be 2 x 4 inches – tip: it should fit in your pocket.

We Say: Nothing complements a purse better than a big wallet. Big wallets are classy and convenient, especially for that exceptional occasion when, instead of taking a purse, we just carry our wallets.

3.“Coupons… definitively”:
They Say: Girls have coupons and discount cards for everything – CVS points, Shaws discounts, Sephora sale cards, froyo points. And this is besides the member cards they carry in their oversized keychains.

We Say: I must admit I did not see this one coming. I wouldn’t say this is a vital part of our purses, but I understand what they’re referring to. Free Sephora samples are just ways of saving money. Plus, who would say no to some free low-calories vanilla froyo anyways?

4.“Lots of Glitter” (translation: make-up):
They Say: Those purses contain so much facial glitter, lipstick, and eyelash curlers. Girls are always shining.

We Say: A small, everyday make-up purse kit is essential. It’s not necessarily about being preppy; a “touch-up” is especially handy for a job interview. And if you were to list 3 specifics, I’d say cover-up, lip-gloss or chap-stick, and mascara, as opposed to facial glitter, lipstick, and eyelash curlers.

5.“Birth Control, Tampons, and Period Medicine”:
They Say: Girls have a period kit.

We Say: You have no idea what a period feels like. And it’s called Midol!

After living most of her life in the polluted, traffic-filled streets of Sao Paulo, Brazil that reverberate ambulance sirens, Meli knew she wanted a city-campus college experience and made her way to BU, College of Communication. With a profound interest in the human psych, love for words, and unpredictable multicultural background, she knew advertising was the field that would merge all of her passions into one. Her desire to travel the world, getting lost in exotic cities, tracing narrow cobbled streets, and the thrill of the unknown, is similar to what lures her to advertising: the dynamic and flexible characteristic of the field, which forces it to constantly adapt to emerging social trends. With two years left to complete her degrees in Advertising and Psychology, she plans on spending a semester abroad interning in London, diffusing her Brazilian culture through her campus, eating chocolate and blogging about travel.  
Elyssa is a "New Yourker" who has somehow ended up in Boston. She is currently studying journalism at Boston University and is excited to be the Campus Correspondent for the BU branch of Her Campus! She also enjoys theatre, frozen yogurt, and obsessively watching "Dancing with the Stars." When not doing any of above, she can be found quoting "Pirates of the Caribbean."