5 Steps to Healthy Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Say bye-bye to split ends, dry scalps, and fried and dyed hair! With these quick and easy tips, you can maintain your lucious locks like a pro. 

1. Say no to (too much) Dye!

We all love a change of scenery and dying our hair is a nice way to do that. We dye our hair after break ups or when we start a new chapter in our lives, but excessively dying our hair damages it! The dye damages the keratin in our hair and ruins the texture of it. Dye can cause hair to become dry, to break, to fall out, and to thin. Results vary for everyone, so dye with caution!

2. Switch up the Ponytails!

Tying our hair in the same spot everyday causes damage to the hair in that spot and it starts to break off and create awkward split ends that aren’t at the tips of our hair. A little variation is key!

3. Keep up with Monthly Trims!

Our hair grows at the roots so it is a myth that trimming our hair will help it grow. Trimming it, however, keeps it healthy by making it look better and preventing damage. When we don’t trim our hair, our ends split. The longer we wait to trim our hair, the higher the ends split becomes, causing more damage. It is likely that if your split ends are bad enough, your hair stylist will recommend a cut instead of a trim.

4. No Need to Overwash!

This is a tough one for many women, especially ones with oily hair. Washing our hair too much actually dries it out and makes it lose its moisture. It’s like when you’re in the pool too long and your skin gets pruny and gross, if you wash your hair too much, you dry out your scalp and it produce more oil to compensate for the dry scalp.

5. Basic Maintenance is Important!

Combing and brushing your hair may seem like common sense, but not everyone does it. When you don’t keep up with basic maintenance, knots form which breaks off your hair.

Advertising and Journalism major at Boston University. Fashion is my passion. Lover of all things Law and Order: SVU, Empire, and Keeping up with the Kardashians. Follow my Twitter @thisgirljazmyne and Instagram @jazmyne_143! Xoxo
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.