This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Last week, I traveled to Paris to visit some cousins of mine during spring break. However, my trip unfortunately coincided with many of their university exams. Because of this, I mostly went solo during the days, which I’d never done before while being abroad.

I found, however, that this trip was a nice middle ground to have freedom during the day while also having a family to spend time with at night. It was unexpected, but I had a great time!

Below are five of my top tips for the next time you find yourself on a solo vacation, intentional or not!

Listen to good music

I am a very talkative person, so it was tricky not having my family around to talk to while I did touristy things. To keep myself entertained while walking around the city, I listened to a lot of music. By doing this, my experience in museums was more immersive because I could be in my own little world. I am also a big fan of listening to French music, so being in Paris was the perfect place for that! 

Of course, always make sure your music isn’t a distraction or safety hazard on public transportation. And, if you are relying on having constant music, keep in mind that wireless earbuds (and the cases) need to be charged. This is something to consider adding to your routine each night!

Do a photo exchange 

Taking photos shouldn’t be the main focus of your travels, but I understand that an Instagram feed can only handle so many selfies! To avoid monotony in your vacation pictures, I suggest doing a little swap with other tourists by offering to take their photos and ask them to do the same for you.

I found that most tourists were grateful to have someone take their photo for them, and were more than happy to return the favor! I only got turned down once during my travels, but I continued to extend the offer to others, which had many positive results.

Take care of yourself

Something I’ve learned about myself through my travels is that I hate spending real-world money on food. At Boston University, I mostly go to the dining halls or use my Dining Points at the on-campus restaurants (I love a good bagel sandwich from Einsteins), which, in my head, is written off as “fake money.”

I encouraged myself to eat at restaurants by creating a budget with money set aside specifically for eating out. This helped remind me that this money was intended to pay for my meals and I needed to spend it accordingly!

I also initially found myself nervous about eating in restaurants as I was afraid of the language barrier. I kept having to remind myself to work meals into my schedule. Thankfully, many restaurants (especially super touristy ones) were accommodating of my English.

I, of course, got the opportunity to try a lot of yummy pastries. A few nights, I shopped for myself and made my own dinners, which is something that I’m not typically able to do while living in a kitchen-less dorm!

Check things off that bucket list

When traveling solo, you have nobody to please but yourself! For me, this meant no younger siblings complaining about yet another art museum. On my own, I was able to explore the city at my own pace and do what I wanted.

I also realized that there are some awesome discounts for many Parisian museums. Thankfully, I was there for a few days while I was still 18, so I was able to get free entrance to museums such as Musée d’Orsay and the Hôtel des Invalides (where Napoleon’s tomb is located). Within certain age ranges, EU citizens and local students also got discounts or free admission!

I also got discounts at a movie theater because of my age and discounts at a jazz club because I’m a college student. It was interesting to me how Paris made exploring easy and accessible for young people, which allowed me to check a lot of items off my bucket list without breaking the bank!

don’t be afraid to go with the flow!

Being able to see the sights without the stress of traveling in a group gave me more flexibility and free time to explore the area based on vibes. One day, my main excursion was to see Montmartre and the Sacré-Coeur Basilica, but after, I allowed myself a few hours to just wander the surrounding neighborhoods. I found myself in a super cool garment district with a lot of fabric stores and even a few secondhand shops where I found some great clothing deals! 

Finally, the majority of the time I spent with my cousins was going out with them and their friends at night. That isn’t exactly a solo traveling-related situation, but if you’re bold enough to make friends in a new place, hanging out with individuals who know the area may give you the chance to visit some awesome places you wouldn’t have thought to go to on your own. Some of my favorite memories from my trip were from things that weren’t planned! 

Traveling is always an adventure, but when you are open to that adventure, that’s when the best and least expected things can happen!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets!

Rae Ruane is a biweekly writer for Her Campus Boston University. She enjoys writing about a broad range of topics but is especially partial to feminism and culture. Having grown up in a small beach town in California, she finds that there is a lot of interesting material to cover in a new city! Rae is a Film and Television major at BU’s College of Communication and is also minoring in Myth Studies in the College of Arts and Sciences. As a film major, she wants to study screenwriting and has won a few awards for her short screenplay work in the past from the Central Coast Film Society Student Film and Media Arts Competition and Urbanite Arts & Film Festival. Her writing has also appeared in various Morro Bay High School drama productions and the Morro Bay Spyglass newspaper. In her free time at BU, Rae enjoys going on walks along the esplanade and visiting museums. She listens to a lot of music and her favorite artists are Angèle and Vance Joy. Outside of Her Campus she is costume designer for "Public Domain" on BUTV10 and is a member of Students for Reproductive Freedom, BU Democrats, and History clubs.