This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It’s official: responsibility is the new trend. With rising awareness about social issues such as environmental sustainability and animal welfare laws, consumers are drifting towards brands that fulfill their corporate social responsibilities (CSRs), and they aren’t afraid of showing it. A 2017 study found that 87% of Americans said they would purchase a product because a company advocated for an issue they cared about. Here are some brands that have made it a part of their corporate goals to tackle important issues and have a great range of products to choose from!

The Body Shop

Who doesn’t love The Body Shop’s heavenly spectrum of scented beauty and bath products? The staple brand recently became a B corporation and follows strict standards to make sure its products don’t harm the environment. The company stands out by taking firm stances on social issues such as animal testing and modern slavery.

What I love most about The Body Shop’s products is that every single one of their products is vegetarian, and over half of their product range is vegan. All their ingredients are organically sourced and traded through their Ethical Trade program, which ensures that workers are being fairly treated and paid for their work. To top it all off, the socially conscious brand launched its very own supply chain transparency act that preserves the rights of the people involved in its supply chain. We love the power moves this company is making!

Ben and Jerry’s

We all scream for ice cream! Ben & Jerry’s is another B corp that looks out for the environment and its inhabitants. The ice cream company actively fights for causes like racial equality, LGBTQ rights, and climate justice (just to name a few) and has launched several local projects in cities like Miami and St. Louis to raise mental health and criminal justice reformation awareness. Ben & Jerry’s also runs a philanthropy-focused organization called the Ben & Jerry’s Foundation that awards $2.5 million to eligible nonprofits and social justice organizations across the United States.

The ice cream brand extends its rigorous standards to its products as well. It sources its ingredients from cage-free farms and formulates its ice creams with non-GMO ingredients. Now that you’re reading about Ben & Jerry’s anyway, why not grab a pint?!

H&M

Your local H&M is not only affordable but also environmentally conscious! The clothing brand is committed to sourcing raw materials in a sustainable manner and ensures the implementation of animal welfare rules throughout its supply chain. H&M does not accept or include real fur or exotic animal skins in its clothing and discourages deforestation by not buying leather sourced from cows reared in the Amazon biome.

H&M has visionary goals for the future of its brand’s sustainability and transparency practices. By 2030, it aims to source 100% renewable energy and use only 100% recycled or sustainable materials. By 2040, it aims to achieve a climate positive value chain. These goals have set high industry standards that are only just beginning to be rivaled by its competitors. So the next time you’re in the mood for a shopping spree, take that trip down to H&M and spend your money knowing that you’re contributing to some of the best sustainability practices ever used by clothing companies!

Pura Vida Bracelets

Pura Vida Bracelets has been giving back to the community since day one. The brand came to life after its founders met two struggling artisans in Costa Rica and fell in love with the simple but eye-catching bracelets that earned them their livelihood. Since the jewelry brand sources its products from artisans, every purchase you make from the brand equals a portion of it sent to the people that make up its supply chain. Pura Vida Bracelets has expanded its reach globally and now works with artisans in countries like El Salvador and India, and has also donated over $2.2 million to its charity organization partners. Plus its products are super cute, so don’t hesitate to indulge in a jewelry makeover!

Patagonia

Patagonia is not only known for its go-to outdoor clothing, but also for its persistent activism. The B corporation donates 1% of its total sales (the founder of the clothing brand calls it the “Earth tax”) to environmental welfare groups. The brand also reuses material from discarded or unused clothes and fabric wastes. Patagonia lets its customers get involved in the fight for the planet through its Patagonia Action Works program, an initiative to connect activists to organizations operating within the same community. The brand has also appointed ambassadors called “Global Sports Activists“ who drive social and environmental change.

Corporate repositioning has occurred on a global scale, with companies racing to differentiate themselves on the basis of their CSR practices. Businesses, both large and small, have now realized that their customers care a lot more about the social, cultural, and environmental impacts of their operations than ever before. With people demanding transparency in their supply chains and corporate practices, organizations have been forced to reconsider and redefine what they truly stand for as a brand.

The further we spearhead the rising awareness of responsibility and consciousness within the corporate world, the longer we will be able to protect the planet we call home.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Akhila is a junior studying Business Administration and Advertising at Boston University. When she isn't writing, she's busy learning new languages and taking pictures!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.