Style > Fashion

5 Simple Steps to Stay Warm & Stylish This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

‘Tis the season to embrace those scarves and puffers again! Pull out your big coats and get ready to layer up with these simple steps to creating the perfect cold-weather outfit.

Follow this guide to stay cozy and fashionable this fall.

Establish a Thin Base

Start with a simple turtle neck, long-sleeve shirt, or a tank top as your initial layer. Opt for a solid color to make coordinating with the rest of your outfit easier. Consider adding a loose T-shirt over your base layer to amp up the warmth factor.

When it comes to lower garments, warm shorts, tights, or leggings are ideal for staying cozy, depending on your intended top layer. If you choose to wear leggings, look for a pair that falls above the ankle to prevent them from being visible with your following bottoms.

What To Stack Next

Your second layer serves as the primary source of warmth and an opportunity to make a style statement.

Combine a crew neck, hoodie, or sweatshirt with your base layer. While it’s great to stick to solid colors, don’t shy away from designs or different colors that complement your outfit.

Loose-fitting jeans complement tights, shorts, or leggings well. If you opt for tights, consider pairing them with a skirt or cargo pants. When it comes to shorts, they pair nicely with long skirts, which offer both comfort and style.

Add a Statement Piece

This third layer is crucial for blocking the wind and serves as your statement piece. Consider adding a windbreaker, coat, vest, puffer, or leather jacket to your existing layers.

Limiting yourself to two layers on your lower body provides flexibility while walking, but if you still feel chilly, consider layering both tights and shorts during step one and applying this to step two. 

Footwear
The Lalaboots And Leaves
Her Campus Media

Let’s not overlook the importance of footwear in our quest to stay warm and stylish this fall! Consider completing your look with high-top sneakers, leather boots, or even fuzzy boots.

When wearing boots or high-top sneakers, pair them with long, warm socks that your footwear will comfortably conceal. This not only adds an additional layer of insulation but also enhances the overall aesthetic of your outfit.

The Finishing Flourish

Now that you’re feeling warm and looking great, it’s time to add any finishing touches. Conclude your look with a scarf or beanie to provide an extra layer of warmth.

By adhering to these 5 steps, you’ll be well-prepared to stay warm and fashionable throughout this fall season. 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets!

Isaira Alvarez, I am a sophomore majoring in journalism in the college of communications at Boston University.