The 5 Pieces of Clothing/Accessories You NEED for BU!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

1.Cute but practical rain gear. One thing I learned through the course of my freshman year is that it rains a lot in Boston. Sure, I expected to wake up to a lot of gloomy winter days. But I never expected to wake up to rain on what felt like at least one day a week. Your rainy day wardrobe doesn’t have to be as dreary as the day. There are plenty of super cute rain jackets that’ll keep you perfectly dry. Pair your jacket with tall rain boots. (The rain boots of choice at BU are Hunter boots, but any style will do!) Your final rainy day accessory should be an umbrella, of course. But I’m not talking about just any umbrella. I can’t even count the number of times my umbrella turned inside out while I was walking down Comm. Ave. (A word of caution: Comm. Ave. has the potential to virtually turn into a wind tunnel.) A sturdy bubble umbrella is best because it shields you from the wind and rain and looks decidedly chic.

Urban Outfitters Bubble Umbrella, $14
Hunter Original Tall Gloss Boot, $135 
Lands End Women’s Regular Rainstop Parka, $99

2. A long down coat. Emphasis on the “long” part. Of course, the most important thing is that the coat keeps you toasty warm on the coldest of Boston days. But having a coat whose hem hits closer to your knees will keep you even warmer. Personally, I don’t enjoy when my legs are cold so a long coat does double duty. Plus, there are tons of really flattering styles so you don’t end up looking like a giant marshmallow.

Zara Mid Length Quilted Anorak, $169 
Laundry By Shelli Segal Faux Fur Trim Anorak, $148

3.Comfortable but stylish heels. I love a pair of gorgeous sky-high heels just as much as the next girl, but they’re just not practical. Whether you need your heels for an SMG presentation or for a fun night out on the weekend, a balance between comfort and cuteness is a must. Heels with a platform will also relieve some of the stress on your feet. Wedges are also a great option as well as heeled booties. Trust me, the walk back to your dorm on a weekend night will feel like it’s miles long if you’re not in a pair of manageable shoes.

Steve Madden Arrena Booties, $89.99
JS by Jessica Marya Pumps, $59.95 
Mix No.6 Wright Fabric Wedge Pump, $44.95

[pagebreak]
4. Small cross body bag. This will serve you well throughout your years at BU, so pick one you really like! You can use it when you go out shopping on Newbury or out to a party on the weekend. There are infinite adorable choices at tons of different stores. Just make sure you choose one that’s super secure so none of your belongings fall out.

ASOS Quilted Metal Corner Cross Body Bag, $34.06
H&M Bag, $17.95
Forever 21 Boucle Crossbody Bag, $24.80

5. A practical but fun backpack. When I left for college, I was so excited to walk around campus with a cute tote bag. I thought my days of lugging a ridiculously heavy backpack around were over the day I finished high school. But, I turned out to be totally wrong. It really depends on how many books, notebooks, folders, etc. you have for each of your classes, but my advice is to go for a backpack. I finally gave up walking around lopsided as my tote held me down and chose a fun backpack I can walk miles with.

The North Face Women’s Jester Backpack, $65
Roxy Great Outdoors Mini Backpack, $44
Jansport High Stakes Cordura Backpack, $40

Elyssa is a "New Yourker" who has somehow ended up in Boston. She is currently studying journalism at Boston University and is excited to be the Campus Correspondent for the BU branch of Her Campus! She also enjoys theatre, frozen yogurt, and obsessively watching "Dancing with the Stars." When not doing any of above, she can be found quoting "Pirates of the Caribbean."