This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Not sure what to watch next on Netflix? Trying to convince yourself that there must be options besides watching Friends for the 100th time? Looking for an excuse to procrastinate your homework? Look no further than this list of five Netflix Originals you should absolutely watch.

The Politician 

This show stars Ben Platt and Gwyneth Paltrow— do I even need to say more? Full of plot twists and exaggerated characters, The Politician will keep you hooked until the final episode. With a diverse cast and diverse characters, it’s a refreshing take on the absurd world of (high school) politics. Also, despite not being a musical show, they still find excuses for Ben Platt’s character to sing multiple times, which is a huge plus.

The Umbrella Academy

The Umbrella Academy is like the X-Men meets… honestly, I’m not sure what, but it’s way more than your average comic book hero show. In short, an extremely dysfunctional family of superheroes only have a few days to stop the end of the world. The characters are so likeable that you can’t help but root for their success. The plot is funny, engaging, and full of surprises. The soundtrack alone is killer, and is absolutely worth a listen even if you aren’t into the show. And if you watch it and get hooked, don’t worry— it’s officially confirmed for season two.

Living With Yourself 

Featuring not one but two Paul Rudds, it’s hard to go wrong with Living with Yourself. Basically, Miles (Paul Rudd) goes to a spa where they clone the client and kill the original, leaving the “improved” clone in their place— but the first Miles doesn’t die, so now there’s two of him but only one life. Living with Yourself’s episodes are all less than 30 minutes, so it’s a quick watch, and every darkly hilarious episode will leave you wanting more.

Dead to Me

The premise of Dead to Me sounds dark, but its humor is unique and intriguing. Jen (Christina Applegate) has just lost her husband in a hit-and-run car accident, and she meets a new friend, Judy (Linda Cardellini) at a grief support group. But there’s way more to Judy that it seems; each episode reveals a new secret, making it impossible to watch Dead to Me in anything but one sitting.

Stranger Things

Does this one even need an explanation? Iconic characters, intriguing plot, and an adorable cast, Stranger Things has anything you could want in a Netflix show. Season 3 is absolutely the best season yet, and it’s definitely worth the watch (or re-watch).

Did you successfully survive midterms? Finally finish writing a major essay? Treat yourself to a day of relaxation by watching one (or more) of these shows.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Gabrielle is a senior studying English at Boston University. When she's not writing for Her Campus, you can find her listening to Taylor Swift, reading a romance novel, or exploring new places in Boston. You can follow her on insta @gabriellepeck15.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.