This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

School is back in session and so are all the stresses of classes, clubs, and everything in between. Especially during the transition from summer mode back into the routines of college, self-care is a practice too many forget about. Nail art is a great way to slow down and focus on yourself, here are five ways to spice up your manicure and boost your self-esteem for the fall.

Use a base coat.

Ok, I know this isn’t technically nail art, but having a strong base coat is an essential first step for any manicure. Base coats help bond the polish to the nail and make your mani (and art) last much longer than using polish alone. My favorite right now is Orly’s Bonder Basecoat ($11), but there are tons out there to choose from.

Try a different nail shape.

Sometimes, all it takes to spice up a manicure is a different outlook. The standard shape is usually an oval, but trying a square or coffin shape may be just what you need to get into gear for fall. Here’s a handy chart that shows you all different nail shapes to choose from—or come up with your own style.

Use stickers.

Nail stickers are a super fun way of putting a personal touch on your manicure. You just stick ’em on and seal them in with a top coat and boom, you’re done! if you’re feeling adventurous you can try the same technique with mini rhinestones or jewels.

Glitter, glitter, glitter!

Right now, glitter is super trendy in the beauty community, you can’t scroll anywhere on Instagram without seeing it. That goes for nails too; everyone in the nail art world is talking about “holo”—short for holographic—glitter. A great way to elevate any creme polish is to add a glittery topcoat, it’s so mesmerizing it’ll distract you and all your classmates.

Wear special effects polish.

Looking to treat yourself? My favorite current trend is multi-chrome polishes. Like holographic, they shift from one color to the next depending on the lighting. Thermal polishes are another special effects polish, they change shade based on temperature, and as the Boston weather gets colder, you’ll definitely see the shift.

These are only some of the millions of ways you can make nail art a part of your self-care routine. Nail art is a great way to make time for yourself and express your creativity.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Mia is a sophomore Poli Sci student with a minor in Environmental Policy Analysis. When she's not studying in Mugar or biking down Comm Ave, you can find her drinking tea, wandering the city, or⁠— most likely⁠— binging anime on her laptop.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.