5 Stunning Locations in the Boston Area to Visit This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As fall and cold weather take over, Boston turns into a world of red and gold. The settings we see every day become even more of a sight to behold as the seasons change making it a great time to travel. As students in Boston, there’s no need to go far! Here are five places to visit near Boston to make your 2021 fall as memorable as possible:

The Crane Estate (Ipswich, MA)

The Crane Estate was named after its owners, who used the 2,100 acres of land as their summer home in the 1920s. The farm, formerly popular for its fishery, was transformed into a great cottage that is known for European-inspired architecture and the amazing landscape facing the beach. There are hiking trails, tours of the gardens, and tours of the Great House available to visitors seven days a week year-round. You might even recognize Castle Hill from the 2019 version of Little Women, where the estate was used as the Paris backdrop for starring actors Timothee Chalamet and Florence Pugh. 

The Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University (Boston, MA)

The Arnold Arboretum is a botanical research institution affiliated with Harvard University that is also open to the public for free. The stunning park is the oldest public arboretum in Massachusetts and also one of the biggest collections of North American plants and floras in the world attracting visitors worldwide to visit the living treasure. There are multiple types of tours for visitors to choose from along with seasonal collections open to see seven days a week. Or, just a walk through the botanical gardens may serve as a healing experience that immerses one in nature — an especially beautiful sight to see in the fall. If you were wondering, October’s tree of the month was the Seven-Son Flower! 

Emerson Colonial Theatre (Boston, MA)

With its opening in 1900, the Emerson Colonial Theatre began a part of Boston’s history and theater scene. The theatre was where many Broadway productions such as Oklahoma! and Anything Goes made their debut. The theatre can be found on the campus of Emerson College, which is located in the heart of Boston’s theater district. For more than a century, it has been a source of contributions to the culture and arts which define Boston. This fall and winter, visitors can buy tickets to see a variety of live experiences, including performances by Leslie Odom Jr. and Kenny G., or even interactive productions such as MasterChef Live!, starring contestants as seen on television. Whether cooking, music, acting, or all three, there’s something for everyone to be found at the Emerson Colonial Theatre. 

Faneuil Hall Marketplace (Boston, MA)

All tourists visiting Boston have probably visited Quincy Market, but Faneuil Hall Marketplace is about more than just the food. The history of America can be found in the four historic buildings, including Quincy Market, North Market, and South Market (these three buildings are now collectively known as Quincy Market) plus Faneuil Hall. With shops to spend hours in, a great variety of food vendors, street performers, and nearby historic taverns, the marketplace serves as the heart of Boston, in which visitors can easily spend an entire day. With fall comes the apple cider donuts, pumpkin decorating, and more fun attractions and activities to do with both family and friends. 

Gibson House Museum (Boston, MA)

The Gibson House Museum is a private house museum in the Back Bay that serves as a time capsule of Boston’s historic neighborhoods. The Gibson family, who lived in the four-floor house for three generations from the mid-1800s to 1900s, left behind a house that captures domestic life, including four floors of period rooms and the original kitchen from 1859. Visitors can take tours or buy tickets for the many activities provided by the museum. This fall and winter, you can see the painting collection of the Gibson family, partake in the literary-salon-inspired book club, or even explore the Gibson House and its role in Boston’s LGBTQ+ history through Charlie Gibson’s perspective of Boston’s queer subculture.  

I personally love experiencing the change of seasons away from home, especially in Massachusetts. There’s no time to be bored in Boston, where one can find anything from stunning landscapes to historical tours. So, put on your best fall outfit and brave the cold weather to explore!     

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Lynn is a sophomore from NJ studying Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences. In her free time, she likes color coding her notes and watching home tours on YouTube.