5 Healthy Snacks for the Ride Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It is hard to believe that this is the last week of the school year and summer is finally approaching! For the majority of us, the only obstacles keeping us from summer vacation right now are finals. During finals period I imagine that all of us will be working until early in the morning and scarfing down any food we can find to keep us sane during late night cram sessions. Once the finals period is over, I know most of us will be seriously exhausted and will be so ready to head home. Whether driving or flying, we all at some point during the ride or flight might crave “brain food.” After all, we will have been absorbing so much information non-stop. I took the liberty of compiling a list of five healthy snacks for the ride home. Check your guilt at the door and delight in these delicious bites that will surely tickle your taste buds. You can even satisfy your sweet tooth, and you’ll be home before you know it!

1. Luna Bars

Luna Bars are one of the most popular workout bars for women due to the bar’s nutrition content. These bars contain the following four core nutrients: Calcium, Vitamin D, Iron, and Folic Acid, which together enhance a standard healthy diet. This nutritious snack provides us with a substantial amount of protein and the vitamins and minerals will give students the strength we need to replenish lost brain cells during those countless hours of studying! If you decide to buy a quick snack at a CVS or at an airport shop before the trip home, make the positive choice by picking a LUNA bar. 

2. Dried Fruit

Why not just eat regular fruit? In my opinion, dried fruit is less messy and it is very easy to pack without having to worry about a banana bursting or an apple juice squirting all over your purse! And, it is less perishable and travels well. Even though dried fruit is the safer choice, you have to be discriminating because some fruit contains more sugar than others. A few healthy fruit selections are apples, figs, mangos, and apricots. Those you may want to avoid are pineapples, banana chips, and cranberries, which are often sugarcoated. The two major 100% organic dried fruit brands that I particularly favor are Peeled and Bare Fruit. Despite the sugar caution, dried fruit is a light fillerupper! Another plus is that dried fruit packages tend to be resealable, which allows you to save some healthy deliciousness for later.

3. Multi-grain Wheat Thins

The danger of Wheat Thins is that once you eat just one you will continually crave more. Guess what? You can enjoy yourself while eating those extra handfuls depending on the type of Wheat Thins you selectTo stay on the healthy route, you must look carefully at the boxes because some packages have different nutrition contents. The Wheat Thins that I would suggest are the 100 Calorie Packs. Whether you are sitting at the airport gate or perusing a magazine in the car, you can easily pop in the crackers and several packs will not be the death of you. You can choose to eat the regular Wheat Thins, but the multi-grain brand is heartier and healthier. In the end, the multi-grain “Big Crunch” will be worth it! They are called Wheat Thins for a reason!

4. Vita Coco Coconut Water

This beverage may not have a crunch like the other snacks on the list, but it will certainly quench your thirst! After having a class session with two BU Sargent College Health Ambassadors, their presentation taught me that sometimes when you feel hungry, you are probably just thirsty. As a “snack,” Vita Coco Coconut Water is not only refreshing, but also low in calories, low in sugar, and naturally low in fat. Another benefit is that coconut water is not as sweet as other sports drinks so you will not feel nauseated or bloated during a severalhour car ride or flight. When in doubt, go loco for coco!

5. Trail Mix (sans M&M’s)

The main reason consumers go nuts for the savory taste of trail mix is due to the salty nuts, raisins, and chocolate (the secret ingredient). It might be painful to steer away from the traditional trail mix but there are equally delicious mixes that do not require M&M’s. You can be easily gratified with the fruit and nut mixes or the energy mixes. In general, trail mix is a great snack for the journey home because the nuts contain a great deal of fiber and protein. Besides, your mix will definitely be more satisfying and healthier than those microscopic packs of peanuts, often with honey glaze or corn syrup that the flight attendant offers. Even though nuts may be high in fat, they are a good source of good fats and an individual pack of trail mix is just the right amount. 

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.