5 Halloween Costumes I Hope to See This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.
Barbie and Ken

Barbie is the movie of the year, and if I don’t see a group of girls walking down the street and saying “Hi Barbie!” to each other, I may be a little sad. The movie provides endless Barbies to be with your friends, and Kens to do a couples costume with. Barbie is also a costume that you can easily DIY; all you need is a pink outfit! What puts this costume at the top of my list is its ability to be as simple or complex as you need it to be, it’s infinite variety, and the fact that this may or may not be my Halloween costume… Shhh!

Ryan Gosling and Margot Robbie in Barbie
Warner Bros. Pictures
THe Little Mermaid

The live-action The Little Mermaid reignited my love for the animated movie and mermaids in general. Besides Ariel in the live-action, her sisters looked so beautiful, and I think mermaids could be such a fun costume to do with friends! To DIY it, you can reuse your bikini tops with long, gauzy, shimmery skirts to make a low-cost costume out of items you probably already have in your closet.

Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour

One of the most iconic tours of the year gave us some incredible Taylor Swift looks: the beautiful “Enchanted” evening gowns, the gilded “Fearless” dresses, the black snake “Reputation” jumpsuits, and, of course, her “Lover” crystal body suit. Any of these outfits would be stunning for Halloween, especially the jumpsuits and bodysuits to keep warm! You and your friends could be the Taylor Swift eras, drawing on either classic looks from when the albums came out or unique tour outfits.

The Summer I Turned Pretty

One of the episodes in Season 2 of The Summer I Turned Pretty shows Belly, Conrad, Taylor, Steven, and Jeremiah throwing a retro-themed party complete with incredible, time-period-appropriate outfits. Belly dons a Spandex orange outfit with some funky eye makeup! These retro outfits would be great to replicate with your own friend group. Spend a day going on a group thrifting trip and find outfits to match the TV characters or make your own interpretation!

Beyonce’s Renaissance Tour

Beyoncé’s iconic silver fashions for her Renaissance World Tour were incredible. She had some great designer fits, ranging from red bodysuits to denim jumpsuits, to gorgeous evening gowns. From diamond streaming boots and dresses, Beyoncé is the epitome of shining, shimmering, splendid! Dressing up as Queen B is quite the task but this can be DIY’d and thrifted based on your preference. With concert season, there is no short supply of bejeweled fashions in any store!

When it comes to Halloween, the possibilities are endless. stand out, be creative, and get spooky!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets

Surmayee Thakur is a student Boston University. She works on the writing team and as an editor for HCBU. She enjoys covering a variety of topics including beauty, film and television, music, and her experience as a South Asian woman and a student. Surmayee is an English major, Public Health minor, and a premed student. She has worked as an English teacher and has a passion for writing and reading. She hopes to make healthcare a more accessible and communicative field. In her free time, Surmayee enjoys writing, listening to music, shopping, and reading. She's a fantasy/YA book, K-Drama, and South Asian media aficionado and she can often be found consuming either of the 3 voraciously in bed.