5 Feminist Costumes You Must Try for 2k15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Yay! It’s October! Time to shuffle down to your local costume shop and pick out that overly priced, but seemingly cute costume that is slightly degrading to the occupation it represents, but that’s ok, right? It’s Halloween. 

The answer is NO! Why should we be required to spend $50 on a costume that shows a little too much of something that we don’t want to show off?  Ugh, seriously! We can’t just be a cop? We’re expected to be a bad, dirty cop? Knock Knock. It’s gender-equality at the door. What happened to the days when friends and neighbors dressed up as aspiring characters? Let’s bring back those masks, collegiettes. We aren’t saying that you shouldn’t feel sexy on Halloween, but how about us women aim to celebrate female empowerment this year?  

Feel sexy in a costume that gives power to women.  

1. OLIVIA POPE  

Talk about a sexy badass! Throw on your best whites and claim Comm. Ave with confidence and attitude.  

2. BEYONCÉ 

Because…Queen Bey! 

Pair a DIY bejeweled one piece with black stockings & combat boots. Rock your rhinestones! 

3. ROSIE THE RIVETER  

She’s always a classic! Button up your ole denim shirt, tie on a red bandana, and work your take-no-crap-from-nobody smirk. 

4. HERMIONE GRANGER  

Beauty, brains, and brilliant spell skills. The Triple Threat! Add a “magical” twist with some Gryffindor colors and a wizard’s wand. Be the boss of Diagon Allston!

5. POWERPUFF GIRLS  

http://www.popsugar.com/smart-living/photo-gallery/20064402/image/31609516/Powerpuff-Girls

A kickass TBT group costume! Find your supergirls and team up as Blossom, Bubbles, and Buttercup for a night made of sugar, and spice and everything nice!

Celia is a freshman at Boston University in the College of Communication.  She is currently undecided but is interested in Public Relations and Mass Communication.  Her outside interests include fashion, fitness, and fine dining.  When she is not studying or working for HerCampus, she spends her time filming and editing YouTube videos for her fashion and lifestyle channel.  She hopes to someday be a celebrity event planner or host her own talk show.  In the meantime, she plans to take in college one day at a time. Check out Celia's YouTube channel and follow her on Twitter.www.youtube.com/user/StyleMeCeliaTwitter: @stylemecelia
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.