samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Favorite Study Tips for A Successful School Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

While starting a new semester can be hectic and daunting, it is always helpful to prepare by developing good habits. Here are 5 simple ways to start the year off right!

Use Apps to Help You Take Better Notes.

One of my favorite apps to use is Notability, which can combine handwritten and typed notes so you can have everything you need in one place. You can even add pictures, annotate PDFs, and share your notes through Google Drive, e-mail, and Dropbox. 

I find that keeping my notes in an app, on my desktop or phone, helps keep me motivated. Usually keeping track of my notes is difficult, since I often have some typed notes and some written notes. Using an app, like Notability or Good Notes, helps keep me organized and makes it much easier to keep track of all my notes.

Study With Other People.

Studying in a group or with other people is a great way to stay motivated. Seeing others studying and doing homework helps keep you focused, and incentivizes you to also do work. Personally, I love studying with other people because, not only does it help you learn the material better, but it also introduces you to new study tactics. This way, you can find new efficient ways to learn. 

Review Your Notes the Same Day.

After I finish classes for the day, I find it helpful to go back and review the material that was covered in lecture. Sometimes I will rewrite the notes in a more cohesive way, or I’ll type them up and add more detail. By doing this, I can make sure that I fully understand what was covered for the day and prepare for the next lecture. 

Make a To-Do List in the Morning Each Day.

One thing that has kept me organized is making a short to-do list every morning. Usually I will use a Post-It note to write down 4-5 things I need to get done for the day, and keep it with me throughout the day. This helps me keep in mind what I should be doing that day. 

Set Aside Time Each Day to Study and Do Homework.

If you’re someone like me who struggles with time management, I suggest having a designated time each day where you work on all your assignments and study for any upcoming exams or quizzes. Try to make it the same time every day if possible, so you become accustomed to working at that time.

The best way to approach the new school year is to go into it with a positive mindset and a new goal! If your goal this semester is to raise your GPA, develop healthy study habits, or maintain your grades, then these tips should be of good use!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Leanna, originally from New York City, is a student at Boston University.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.