5 Easy Dorm Room Recipes to Please Any Dining Hall Hater

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It is the end of the fourth week of the spring semester. Midterms are around the corner and by now, the thought of dining hall food makes you sick. You are running out of dining points even though you aren’t even halfway through the semester. So, here are seven dorm-friendly recipes to mix your meals up a bit!

1. Quesadillas

When Taco Tuesday seems like a lifetime away, quesadillas come at a close second. These can be easily made in a microwave. Simply put a handful of shredded cheese in a folded tortilla. Put in the microwave for about one minute. Add some pre-made salsa, sour cream, or avocado. 

2. Top Ramen

This classic college student dish is so simple to make and just as easy to spice up that you will actually want to eat it. Prepare the ramen as the packaging says. Before cooking in the microwave, add some frozen (or fresh) vegetables such as carrots, mushrooms, spinach, etc. Also, consider swapping the water for some chicken broth for a ‘lil kick. If that’s not your style, then consider adding some pieces of chicken or ham, or peanuts, dried peas, and corn.

3. Pizza

A little step up from quesadillas, pizza is the cure to late night cravings. Using two tortillas, put the cheese of your choice in between the two layers of tortillas. Add some pepperoni, sausage, or pineapple chunks on top. Cook in the microwave for about two to three minutes and you’ve got yourself a Thursday night cram session.

4. Oatmeal

You’re running late to class and the Starbucks line is just out the door. Put these little oatmeal packs to go so you can satiate your hunger on the bus or walk to class.  In a mason jar or another microwavable container of your choosing, fill about ⅓ of the container with dried oats. Add some almonds, raisins, cinnamon, or brown sugar to your morning mix. Fill the container a little above under halfway with water and put in microwave for one to two minutes. Grab an eco-friendly spoon and you’re good to go!

5. Sandwich Panini

While just anybody can make a sandwich, make it into a panini with the help of that waffle maker your Aunt Lisa just said you’d end up using every day. On whole wheat bread, add some peppered turkey, swiss cheese, avocado, lettuce, and ‘lil dash of mayonnaise. Butter both ends and place in your mini grill.

Living in a dorm can be difficult at times, but it shouldn’t mean that you have to sacrifice making your favorite foods!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

I'm a sophomore at Boston University studying journalism and public health.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.