Style > Beauty

5 Beauty Products Essential To My Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Now that I’m back at school, I find myself wearing makeup more often. I also have an unhealthy obsession with Sephora, so I’ve accumulated quite a few products that have become central to my routine.

Maybe some will become central to yours!

MSH Liquid Love Liner

I have difficulty finding liquid eyeliners that work on my face. They tend to dry out very quickly or smudge, which is incredibly frustrating.

This Japanese eyeliner has become instrumental to my makeup routine because its thin tip and budge-proof formula make it easy to create the perfect wing to last all day.

Asian beauty products have become popular recently, and now I can see why. The formulas of the products are just so well made, and this eyeliner is no exception. 

Mac Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation

Even though the liquid foundation is the best in the game, you don’t need incredibly full coverage for day-to-day use.

I tend to fall back on this product that I discovered in high school, which has never let me down. It gives you good coverage without clogging your pores with a thick layer, as liquid foundation tends to do.

I usually use a triangular powder puff to buff the foundation in, but I like that you can tailor the coverage based on what tool you use.

Juvia’s Place Eye Shadow Palette

I tend to do very neutral eye looks. The Juvia’s Place eyeshadow palettes, specifically The Nudes and Warrior, are filled with great bronzy colors for me to use.

Eyeshadow palettes are something I refuse to spend a substantial amount of money on, and Juvia’s place is affordable and gives me plenty of pigmented shades to work with. The eyeshadow flatters skins with olive undertones, and that’s what has kept me going back for it. 

Mac Mineralize Blush in Love Joy

This is another product I discovered in high school that I have returned to.

I began using the Rare Beauty blush and found that it was just not giving me the effect I wanted. This Mac blush looks orange online but is a darker pink with hints of brown and gold that brings the best color to the face.

I think it pairs well with neutral eye looks and can be put on top of any blush you’re not feeling anymore to give it a boost (I’ve been putting it on top of my Rare Beauty blush to give it that shine). It also works well on its own, creating an overall glowing blush look. 

Sephora Lip Stories Stick

I purchase these affordable lipsticks from Sephora every time I’m there. The shades are just so beautiful, and the formulas are diverse: there are matte, satin, and glitter finishes, which makes them such a staple to my routine.

There is something for whatever look I’m feeling, and I love the packaging and how easy it is to take them on the go.

I’ve joked with friends that I may have every shade by the end of the year. I genuinely do have a list of shades I can’t wait to purchase. My top three so far are Shade 3 (Oui), Shade 9 (Labyrinth City), and Shade 36 (Spring Break).

When it comes to makeup, there are so many options! Hopefully this list can help you perfect your routine.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets!

Surmayee Thakur is a student Boston University. She works on the writing team and as an editor for HCBU. She enjoys covering a variety of topics including beauty, film and television, music, and her experience as a South Asian woman and a student. Surmayee is an English major, Public Health minor, and a premed student. She has worked as an English teacher and has a passion for writing and reading. She hopes to make healthcare a more accessible and communicative field. In her free time, Surmayee enjoys writing, listening to music, shopping, and reading. She's a fantasy/YA book, K-Drama, and South Asian media aficionado and she can often be found consuming either of the 3 voraciously in bed.