Style > Beauty

4 Skin-Saving Products by The Ordinary You Need To Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

In the ever-expanding beauty world today, The Ordinary shines as a simple, no-nonsense skincare brand, thanks in part to their sleek product design and trademark sans-serif font. Giving off the appearance of a prescription-only skincare line, the brand’s products are surprisingly affordable, especially when you consider the purity of ingredients and the effectiveness of their formulas. Since I discovered their product line, my typically problematic skin has improved tenfold; my breakouts are less frequent and my skin is smoother, softer, and glowier than ever. Here are just four products by The Ordinary that transformed my skincare regimen and can transform yours, too:

100% Organic Cold-Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil ($9.80)

The Ordinary’s specially formulated rose hip seed oil is a life-saver for dry skin.

A great way to get started trying The Ordinary products is with a basic, all-natural product, like their 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil. Rose hip seed oil is considered a jack-of-all-trades for the skin and can fade acne scars, smooth wrinkles, or act just as a daily moisturizer. The Ordinary’s version is formulated without the use of heat, which they say helps to preserve the oil’s ingredients. I use this oil a few times a week before bed, and when I wake up my skin feels softer and plumper than ever.

Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA 30mL ($5.80)

This rich moisturizer is a must-have for the colder, drier weather.

The Ordinary’s moisturizer is not so ordinary at all: their Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA contains 11 amino acids, hyaluronic acid, and a long list of other all-natural ingredients that “are naturally present in the skin.” Amino acids smooth and hydrate the skin, while hyaluronic acid is notorious for its anti-aging effects, making this moisturizer a skincare staple. The Ordinary’s moisturizer is so rich, it’s the perfect solution for the drying effects of winter weather. And a little goes such a long way: my tiny 30mL bottle has already lasted me several months of near-daily use.

Granactive Retinoid 2% in Squalane ($9.60)

The Ordinary’s gentler formulation of retinol is a holy grail product for acne-prone skin.

Retinol, derived from vitamin A, has become known as the holy grail of acne and anti-aging products, but it’s typically only available by prescription. Here again, The Ordinary not only delivers an effective solution at an extremely cheap price, but their formula is also said to be gentler than prescription-strength retinol, which is known to cause excessively dry skin. After using this product for over a month now, my hormonal acne has greatly diminished and my skin is overall smoother and softer. 

Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Serum 30mL ($5.90)

This serum contains vitamin B3 and zinc, key vitamins that can smooth your skin and control acne breakouts.

Don’t be daunted by the complicated name of this product: it’s simpler than it seems, and it’s a must-have for anyone with problem skin. Niacinamide is the technical name for vitamin B3, which can reduce pore size, skin irritation, redness, and wrinkles, while zinc can help with oil control and acne breakouts. What I love most about this serum is its instant brightening effect that gives your skin a healthy, dewy glow. I like to put it on first thing after washing my face in the morning, underneath a heavier moisturizer.

The Ordinary’s commitment to transparently formulating products with naturally derived ingredients that won’t break the bank is admirable today in the often complicated and overpriced beauty world.

If you’re in the market for some new skincare products, look no further than The Ordinary!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets

Ausma Palmer is a writer, photographer, and filmmaker from New York. She is currently a journalism student at Boston University and specializes in writing opinion pieces on gender issues and politics, as well as film and book reviews.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.