Life > Academics

3 Ways To Be Sustainable In College By Buying In Bulk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

If you’re in college, trying to save money and be sustainable, try buying in bulk. Here are a couple of things you can buy that will save you costs on basic needs.

Electric toothbrush heads

Invest in an electric toothbrush. The toothbrush heads are cheaper and can be bought four at a time for just ten bucks on Amazon. 

Uterine hygiene products

It’s ideal to get an eco-friendly cup, but that’s not practical for everyone because of physical restraints. Buying sanitary products in bulk will help with costs and minimize packaging. Individual packaging from vending machines is bulky and unnecessary.

Notebooks

You’re going to need more than just that one pack of Muji notebooks. Don’t be afraid to buy more of them because the paper quality is high, and it’s made from recycled material. Try to get them on sale, so you can save the time and energy of having to go back to buy more. If you can, get the ones that are thicker and have more pages.

Bonus: buy refills for your Muji pens instead of buying more pens.

It’s not too hard to buy in bulk, and it often saves you money in the long run. Don’t be afraid to splurge in the moment, so you can save in the long run.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets!

Hi, I’m Melanie (she/her). I’m a Biology major in the class of 2026 at BU. I’m 2nd generation Huayi, born and raised in New York City, and my parents are from Fujian.