12 Moments When Yzma is All of Us During the School Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

The Emperor’s New Groove is one of Disney’s most underrated movies – and with that, Yzma is one of the most underrated villains. Stuck with a bumbling sidekick, Yzma spends the movie trying to get control of Emperor Kuzco’s kingdom, while facing headaches at every turn.

Re-watching the movie, we realize, much to our younger self’s chagrin, that we relate to Yzma more than we’d originally thought possible. Here are 12 times during the school year when Yzma is all of us:

When you leave an assignment to the last minute but still manage to submit it on time

When you’d rather be anywhere other than your 8am

Being a Sophomore in a predominantly Freshman class

When you’re stuck waiting for food to be ready in the dining hall between lunch and dinner hours

When you’re plotting revenge on the guy who stole your seat in class

When you’re paired with a friend for an assignment…

…When you’re forced to work with strangers on a group project you could have done perfectly on your own

When you go home and don’t have to pretend to be nice to your high school classmates anymore

When your friends finally get out of their last class

When someone cuts you off on Comm Ave. only to walk slower than you originally were

When your roommate comes back in the middle of the night and wakes you up

When you’re finally done with your classes for the week

She may not have been our favorite when we were kids, but now that we’re older, we feel Yzma’s struggle more than ever.

Jessica is a senior at Boston University, studying in the School of Communication with a major in Mass Communication, a minor in Cinema & Media Studies and is on the Pre-Law Track. She made the move from Westchester, NY to Boston, and is living in a constant fear of the impending winter. When not in class, she could be found obsessing over Harry Potter or Buffy the Vampire Slayer, making poorly timed puns, or drinking an excess of tea.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.