10 Tips to Revamp Your Look Without Breaking the Bank

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

With winter storm Nemo gone it’s time to change out of your sweatpants and revamp your outfits for heading to class. Here are ten easy and inexpensive tips to revamp your everyday look.

1. Simple as a Scarf

The simple addition of a scarf can give your look a whole new edge. Your neck might also thank you given the mean winds that Nemo has been sending our way. Also don’t be afraid to mix up how you wear your scarves. Youtube has great scarf tutorials and some of them are a really great way to breathe new life a scarf you have had hanging in your closet for a while. Not to mention, an old sweater can become your favorite scarf with a few stitches. Get a little crafty with your wardrobe.

2. Retiring the T-Shirt

Speaking of crafty… are you tired of that old T-shirt? Thanks to sites like Pinterest, alterations are easy! Everyone has an old t-shirt or two that could use a little revamping. Now, with a pair of scissors and a little handiwork you can turn it into a whole new look. Layer your new t with a long sleeve shirt to create the perfect winter appropriate look.

3. Embroidery Extravaganza

Sometimes our old favorites just need a facelift. In this case it can be as simple as using embroidery floss and a sewing needle. There is a lot of power in tiny details. A little bit of decorative stitching added to old t-shirts, jeans, or even shoes can add a few extra months to these staple items before you banish them to the back of your closet.

4. Colorful accessorizing

The winter months in Boston can feel more than a little drab. A splash of color can be all it takes to give your look some shine. By adding color with some neon jewelry, your outfit can have just the right amount of pop. Stores like Forever 21 are great for cheap colorful accessories. If you’re feeling crafty, there is always a nail polish or spray paint alternative. Take an old necklace or bracelet and paint away with a new bright color. It dries glossy and gives you a reason to actually wear your accessory purchases that are still sitting around from middle school.

5. Lovely layering

Think basics. Layering old shirts with combat boots can give off a casual feel. The 90s child in all of us loves the throwback look. It’s comfortable and warm during these winter months. Plus everyone has basic solids, so it won’t cost you anything.

[pagebreak]

6. A Quick Fix to the Sweater Slouch

When it’s freezing cold in the morning, it only makes sense that girls are going to turn to their slouchy sweaters. Just because it’s easy doesn’t mean it has to look grunge. Just add a belt to define your hips and give the look a little more shape. Your outfit will have the same level of comfort with a new twist.

7. Tights, Tights, Tights

Tights are a cheap way to add some color to any outfit. If you miss your summer sundresses and shorts, maybe it’s time to break them back out. Just add a pair of bright tights underneath for an edgy alternative. Plus buying a few pairs of tights is always cheaper than buying a few new pairs of pants. This way you can get a little more bang for your buck when it comes to shorts and skirts.

8. Mix Up Your Up-do

Your hair can set the mood, from a sleek up-do to a messy bun. Check out YouTube again for some fantastic hair tutorials. Don’t be afraid to add some hair accessories. Clips and headbands are inexpensive and versatile.

9. Bag the Backpack

It might be time to retire your backpack for a cute slouchy purse. Most bags can fit all the necessities backpacks hold, but they also make your outfit look and feel a little more refined. Even if you’re just running to class or the library, everyone loves to look good. If you look good, you feel good! Sub out the JanSport and splurge a little on a new purse.

10. Clothing Swap

If you are anything like me you have those same tops or sweaters that waste away their days at the bottom of your closet. Of course they’re too cute to get rid of, but at the same time you have the tendency to neglect them. Luckily, with my favorite tip you can have your cake and eat it too. Do a clothing swap with some friends. Have everyone bring three items they don’t wear then take turns picking items to add to your wardrobe. Consider it a free rental. Set a date to swap back and in the mean time enjoy your new swag. You never know, seeing friends rock your clothes can inspire you to create new looks using these pieces too!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.