Meet Liv Phillips, SGA Haverford Representative 2017-18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

Although only one Blue Bus ride away, Haverford can sometimes feel like it’s in a different world, especially for those hesitant to go beyond the Bryn Mawr bubble. As this year’s SGA Haverford Representative, it’s Liv Phillips’s goal to bridge this gap between the Bi-Co. A native Oregonian and avid letter writer with over 50 penpals, Liv is an active member of both schools’ communities.

Photo courtesy of Liv Phillips

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Major: History (at Haverford)

Minor: English (at Bryn Mawr)

Class: 2019

Why did you choose Bryn Mawr, and why did you choose to stay?

When applying to colleges, I was very interested in choosing a traditionally women’s college. I felt that the mission and community of Bryn Mawr would be a perfect fit for me and it was. Bryn Mawr has such an extraordinary community and I am so blessed to be part of this community.

How did you initially get involved with Haverford?

My journey with Haverford began after I tried out to be part of the Haverford College Mock Trial team. I spend at least 20 hours a week at Haverford practicing for mock trial. Mock Trial really has become my family away from home. During my freshman year, I only took classes at Bryn Mawr, but during my sophomore year, I decided to branch out and took two history courses at Haverford and fell in love with the department and decided to major at Haverford College.

What made you choose to be SGA’s Haverford Representative?

I was nominated to be the Haverford SGA representative and I am really honored that people thought of me for the position. I spent at least 40 hours a week at Haverford and really identify as a Haverford and Bryn Mawr college student, as I am part of both of the college’s academic structure and am part of Haverford and Bi-Co clubs. I believe that I’m a strong voice for the Haverford community as well as the Bryn Mawr community, and that’s why I ran and won this SGA position.

What does the position entail?

I’m basically the liaison between Bryn Mawr and Haverford Colleges. I make sure that there’s a voice for Haverford students and Bryn Mawr students (who go to Haverford for classes, etc.) on the SGA.

How would you describe Bryn Mawr’s relationship with Haverford? How would you describe your own?

I personally have had such a positive experience with Haverford. I really love the classes and people and what Haverford has to offer. I think it’s so special what the Bi-College consortium has to offer, and I feel fortunate to have this opportunity. But while I have had a positive experience with Haverford, there’s still a lot of contention between the two colleges and there are a lot of Bryn Mawr students who are very weary of Haverford (e.g. from personal experiences) and the same thing can be said about Haverford students and their perspective of Bryn Mawr. I really want to work on bridging the gap between these two colleges and working with the student bodies of each college in order to help alleviate some of these issues.

What is your favorite part of being involved with SGA?

SGA is a hoot and a half! It’s so amazing to see such a plethora of people from such varying backgrounds come together and make Bryn Mawr the best place it can be. The exec board and everyone who is on SGA works so so hard and I am so in awe of their strength!

What are some things you’re up to, and how can we support you?

Currently I’m in the works of creating a survey for Bryn Mawr students to fill out, which will be distributed on Facebook groups. I want to garner data about people’s personal experiences at Haverford, their problems, what they like/don’t like, what can be done to bridge that gap between the colleges and what I can do to help that. I’m also going to start attending Haverford SGA meetings, as I think it’s important to see how Haverford Student Council operates and hear issues that Haverford is facing currently.

Anything else you’d like the Bryn Mawr community to know about you?

If anyone ever wants a penpal or to craft, hit me up! I love crafting and writing letters!

Thank you for your time Liv!

Audrey Lin

Bryn Mawr

Computer Science and Linguistics double major at Bryn Mawr College. Lover of bubble tea and anything matcha.