This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

Carly is a fellow English major, and one of my closest friends. Here’s a bit more about her.

Photo courtesy of Carly Harmon

Pronouns: She/her/they/them

Major: English

Class: 2020

What’s something people should know about you?

I’m the mom friend. I’m at my most powerful in the summer when I can pack picnics and pester people about wearing sunscreen.

What’s something people should know about you? -answered by a friend

“NJ, what’s something people should know about me?”

“I don’t know. You’re super cool but you have terrible taste in men.”

Why did you choose Bryn Mawr, and why did you choose to stay?

I went to boarding school where living quarters were separated by birth-assigned sex, and there’s something so unique and comforting about a community without cis men. I knew before I made my college decision the nourishing environment that Bryn Mawr could create, and I chose to stay because it fulfilled its potential. Also, because my parents would kill me if I dropped out of college.

What’s your favorite memory from your time at Bryn Mawr?

I worked Sunday closing at one of the dining halls last year, and I remember making cinnamon sugar bread knots for the rest of the closing shift one night. We all filled takeout boxes with them. It was just a really lovely way to show appreciation for the shift.

What’s  your favorite way to relax?

What’s the difference between a nerd, a geek, and a dweeb? I always forget. Well, I’m one of those – whichever one relaxes by playing video games, planning Dungeons & Dragons campaigns, and watching hour-long video essays about meme culture. Oh, and face masks. I love face masks.

What are your favorite spots in Philly?

I love wandering around Chinatown in Philly. I make a point of stopping at KC’s Pastries whenever I pass through, and usually end up stopping at Penang just around the corner. Also, if you haven’t been to Le Cat Café, which is exactly what it sounds like – a place where you can go play with adoptable cats – then go. For your sanity, go.

What are some things you’re up to, and how can we support you?

I’ve genuinely never been up to anything in my life, but I’ve long been down to clown.

Anything else you’d like the Bryn Mawr community to know about you?

If anyone who has ever been neighbors with me is reading this, I’m sorry I sing a lot but I’m not sorry enough to stop.

Thank you for your time Carly!

Samantha is a sophomore at Bryn Mawr College majoring in English. She's originally from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and can confirm that the winters are just as cold as you've heard. She's passionate about books, writing, girls' education, and Harry Styles. If she's not in class, you can find her studying in the library, grabbing brunch with her friends, or taking a yoga class. If you want to read Samantha's past work, you can find it on the Her Campus Bryn Mawr section.
Audrey Lin

Bryn Mawr

Computer Science and Linguistics double major at Bryn Mawr College. Lover of bubble tea and anything matcha.