This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

Photo Provided By: Cheryl Strayed

During the first of October, Bryn Mawr College was visited by the one and only Cheryl Strayed! Author of a bestseller and associate producer of the film adaptation of her memoir Wild, Strayed has a very busy schedule that includes traveling the world, hosting workshops and speaking to groups. During her recent trip to Bryn Mawr College, I was able to get a one-on-one interview with her! She is so amazing and kind! Check it out!

On Her College Years

College is a difficult time for students. Everything is new and different and there is so much adjusting to be done. Self image is a difficult thing to struggle with, especially in a new environment. Looking back on her undergraduate years, Strayed reflects on being self conscience about her body image, asking herself if she was pretty skinny, smart, and/or kind enough. If she could, Strayed would tell her undergraduate self “be kinder to yourself…you are enough. Forgive, love, & accept yourself.” 

How often are we asked, what do you want to be when you grow up? Where do you see yourself in 3, 5, 10 years? What is your ideal future? Different questions but generally with the same meaning. So it’s no surprise that Strayed was asked the same questions when she was our age. And the awesome thing about her undergraduate dreams is that they DID come true. She had her heart set on becoming a writer and eventually being published…and she did just that!

On Living Wild

After going through some difficult years, Strayed set out on the Pacific Coast Trail to rediscover herself. She chose this journey because the wilderness is where she felt the most in touch with her strength. Growing up in a tiny country town in northerner Minnesota taught Strayed not to fear the wilderness. Going on this journey alone was important for Strayed to find herself again, because by going along so could focus on herself instead of her companion.

On Writing Wild

There is no cultural barrier to Wild. This book has been translated to over 40 languages. The day before our interview, Strayed had met a lady who had just bought a copy of Wild at a grocery store in Germany. With so many translations, Strayed wondered if the same message would be portrayed in all the different languages. But with all the positive responses she has received from all over the wold, Strayed finds that “the things that connect us are more important than the times that divide us.” Many people can relate to idea of going on a journey to find strength again. “Fingers crossed everything translated correctly…not like I can check it!”

On Filming Wild

Not surprisingly, Cheryl Strayed says having a film adaptation of her book Wild is surreal. On one hand, she was shocked, but on the other this is what she worked so hard for. Not only did she find it unimaginable, she can’t believe how far Wild has reach around the world. 

Watching Wild was very emotional for Strayed. Laughing at the funny parts, like with the monster backpack (I mean…would didn’t?!) and crying when Strayed (played by Reese Witherspoon) went to the hospital and out of her mother had died. In the movie, young Strayed was played by Strayed’s daughter, Bobbi (named after Strayed’s mother). It was difficult for Strayed to allow her daughter to be in the movie, playing in scenes were “movie Bobbi”  (played by Laura Dern) and young Strayed were being attacked by Cheryl’s father (played by Jason Newell). She wanted to shield her daughter from what she had to experience, but she daughter told her she really wanted to do it and she knew that it was “just pretend.” 

In the early stages of filming, Reese’s monster pack was staged…only filled with newspaper. But Strayed could tell from the shots that that it was unrealistic, so the props department filled it up to weigh it down. I’m sure Witherspoon thanked her for that one! 

While working on the set of Wild, the film crew was capturing behind the scenes moments. They wanted to interview Strayed, so she went to the makeup artists for a touch up, except they had no makeup…just dirt and blood! For all the trail scenes Reese Witherspoon didn’t have on a stitch of makeup (#GirlPower). How awesome is that?!

Advice

Writing was a calling for Strayed. Her advice to Bryn Mawr College students is “no matter what your calling is, trust it When you actually do work that is you passion, it doesn’t feel like work.” We shouldnt deny our passions for things like finding a “real job” for financial/society reasons. That doesn’t go to say “Plan Bs” aren’t acceptable. If writing hadn’t worked out after giving it her best shot, Strayed would have been a teacher or worked in social services working with teens. Technically, she is a “teacher,” giving workshops around the world.

“Be brave enough to break your own heart. Sometimes you have to make decisions that are hard to do, leaving things you love, but that are holding you back. Making difficult decisions that are for the greater good.” 

* * *

Fun Fact: Cheryl was kind enough to send me an early release copy of her book of quotes Brave Enough early October, so at the time I was one of only two people in the whole world with a signed copy of the book (I even had a copy before Cheryl herself!) You can check out the book here!

Sierra is a sophomore at Bryn Mawr College where she is studying Pre-Medical / Psychology, with plans to become a pediatric psychiatrist. She is the Campus Correspondent (President) of Her Campus Bryn Mawr. Sierra is an active member of the Bryn Mawr College's Belmont Mentoring Club and visits Belmont Charter School once a week to mentor young students. She has always been passionate about helping others and has worked on state and national levels regarding issues from childhood hunger to educational rights. In the 5th grade, she created the PB&J Week food drive to collect peanut butter and jelly for hungry children and has since collected over 16,500 jars, all of which has been donated to local food banks. PB&J Week has been awarded a Sodexo Foundation Grant and Disney Friends For Change Grant. Sierra also created Snotty is Naughty, a workshop used to educate girls on the negative effects of girl-to-girl meanness. Because of her work with Snotty is Naughty, she was selected by Youth Service America and the Festival of Children’s Foundation to represent Idaho as our National Child Awareness Month Ambassador and received a grant to create a documentary. Sierra was 1st runner up and the scholastic award recipient at Miss Idaho Teen USA 2015 and 1st runner up and the overall talent and scholastic award recipient at Miss Idaho’s Outstanding Teen 2014, and recently placed 4th runner up at Miss Idaho USA 2017. She also enjoys modeling, acting, music, and traveling. Follow her on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram!