This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

1. Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Americanah follows the story of a young Nigerian woman through her immigration to the United States and her decision to return home, with all the relationships, struggles and successes along the way.

2. The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood

Perhaps you’ve binged watched the TV adaption of The Handmaid’s Tale on Hulu. It follows a young woman living in something of a post-apocalyptic society where a woman’s only value is to produce babies.

3. The White Album by Joan Didion

Live the 1960s through Joan Didion’s writing. In this book of essays, Didion describes and analyzes 1960s Los Angeles and all the protest movements and nuances of the time.

4. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez

Follow the Colombian Buendia family as they immigrate for a better life. This novel tells the story of seven generations.

5. Life of Pi by Yann Martel

The story of an Indian boy stranded on a small boat with a tiger trying to survive the unforgiving ocean is exactly the type of book that encourages you to stay on the sand.

6. Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer

Summer encourages all sorts of romanticized ideas of running off into the woods and living off the land. If that sounds like you, you might identify with the protagonist of Into the Wild.

7. salt. by Nayyirah Waheed

Rupi Kaur’s book of poems Milk and Honey became very popular last year. Her poetry style was inspired by Nayyirah Waheed’s.

8. Angela Carter’s Book of Fairy Tales, edited by Angela Carter

Angela Carter is famous for her fairytale books. However, her Book of Fairy Tales was not written by her but curated and edited by her.

Enaas Sultan

Bryn Mawr '21

International studies major at Bryn Mawr College. I mostly write about TV shows, skincare, and getting through winter.
Audrey Lin

Bryn Mawr

Computer Science and Linguistics double major at Bryn Mawr College. Lover of bubble tea and anything matcha.