This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

Recently, I wrote a list of TV show recommendations for a friend and noticed that my favorite ones focused on the stories of strong female friendships. These shows surpass the Bechdel Test and dive deeply into interesting, complex, female-driven stories.

The Wilds

The Wilds is a story that aims to discover what would have happened if the Lord of the Flies characters were girls. It features a diverse cast of young women from different backgrounds and goes in-depth about their stories and how they ended up on that fateful plane ride.

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend initially seems like a romance, but as the story unfolds, it becomes apparent that it’s about Rebecca Bunch’s rocky journey to manage her mental health. The friends she makes along the way are an important part of the process.

Trinkets

Linked by their kleptomania, three high schoolers from different circles become connected through a mutual Shoplifters Anonymous group. Their friendship — and how it helps them cope with problems in their lives —  becomes the focal point of the show.

Dead to Me

Stoic and sarcastic real-estate agent Jen meets hippie, kind-hearted Judy at a grief support group. Despite their differences, they bond over their grief and become friends. As secrets unfold, the pair face them together and find comfort in their friendship.

Good Girls

Riddled with debt and expenses, three middle-class moms decide to rob a grocery store. Between cheating husbands, chronically ill daughters, and felonies, the three women keep each other’s secrets and help each other make it through to the other side.

Derry Girls

Set in Northern Ireland during the 1990s, Derry Girls follows four teenage girls as they deal with the typical issues highschoolers face — but with a backdrop of sectarian conflict. It’s a hilarious and heartwarming show.

Enaas Sultan

Bryn Mawr '21

International studies major at Bryn Mawr College. I mostly write about TV shows, skincare, and getting through winter.